• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

PRV B27F, just how bad is it?

QisofrKuin

Hey all,

I'm looking at a 1976 262 GL that supposedly was running well until the starter went out, so I won't be able to verify how well it runs. I know these engines are notoriously bad, but is it "never buy one if you want to have a daily driver" kind of bad? Will I be fixing this until one day it just throws a cam? Or is there some work I can do to keep it decent? I also have heard that people would scrap these 6-cyl. engines and just drop a redblock from some junked 240 in there, does anyone have an idea of the cost of such project? Is it a simple swap or a difficult one? I'm very fond of the two-door look of the 200 series, but they're hard to find down here in Texas and usually expensive, I feel like this may be rare chance to pick one up for 3k or less, but don't want to walk into a very expensive nightmare.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hey all,

I'm looking at a 1976 262 GL that supposedly was running well until the starter went out, so I won't be able to verify how well it runs. I know these engines are notoriously bad, but is it "never buy one if you want to have a daily driver" kind of bad? Will I be fixing this until one day it just throws a cam? Or is there some work I can do to keep it decent? I also have heard that people would scrap these 6-cyl. engines and just drop a redblock from some junked 240 in there, does anyone have an idea of the cost of such project? Is it a simple swap or a difficult one? I'm very fond of the two-door look of the 200 series, but they're hard to find down here in Texas and usually expensive, I feel like this may be rare chance to pick one up for 3k or less, but don't want to walk into a very expensive nightmare.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Unless you can get that 262 for $1000 or less, you'll already be in the hole. The paint is shot on that one. Interior is ratty. I would not recommend buying it. That car keeps getting passed around in Texas. No one is willing to do the work. You're looking at a complete restoration if you plan on engine swapping.

Unless you can get that 262 for $1000 or less, you'll already be in the hole. The paint is shot on that one. Interior is ratty. I would not recommend buying it. That car keeps getting passed around in Texas. No one is willing to do the work. You're looking at a complete restoration if you plan on engine swapping.

Oh good you know the car. Well, not the news I was hoping for, but admittedly what I was expecting after all I've read about these. Thanks!

Just my romantic thoughts on the the B27/28 PRV.

Owned one in the early 80's and loved it. More than adequate power and a respected engine of its time.

The principal issue with the PRV's was failure of the cam oiling capability in the early engines with the oil technology at the time. Later engines added additional oiling capabilities. Even later engines added balanced firing that did not exist on the early engines.

I have a '81 PRV with 25k miles on it and have confidence that with the use of full synthetic oil this engine will survive a very long time.

As time passed the Bosch K-jet fuel system issues further disparaged the value of this engine. Now, the cost of repair of K-jet fuel distributor and CPR further reduces the perceived value of a PVR unless it is attached to a car that has historic /financial value of its own.

I still think a V-6 from a newer car coupled to an electronic controlled auto trans would make for an amazing commuter 240.

I completely agree.

. . . unless it is attached to a car that has historic /financial value of its own.

This is why I suggested the B280F. However, the Dodge Monaco and Eagle Premier did use larger and even more well designed versions of this engine. They are the ones John Lane uses to make his big power on the fire breathing dragon rally car.

Last edited:
This is why I suggested the B280F. However, the Dodge Monaco and Eagle Premier did use larger and even more well designed versions of this engine. They are the ones John Lane uses to make his big power on the fire breathing dragon rally car.

I would love to have one of those in my 242.

I believe a PRV holds the lap record for production-based engines at Circuit de la Sarthe.

Fact check: my error, it holds the SPEED RECORD.

So, there's some provenance in that.

Back