• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 swap with Deeworks plate issue

DavePolyakov

I got my bearing retainer on, but when I went to bolt up the bell housing and adapter plate to the transmission it didn't go on flush. Shouldn't it meet up without the gap? I don't want to close the gap by tightening the bolts. Is this normal? What am I missing? The plate alone goes onto the transmission just fine, but when I put it on with the bell housing it won't go on.
IMG-1760.jpg

IMG-1759.jpg

This is how my bellhousing looks with the adapter plate, TOB sleeve, and seal. I'm 99% sure this is correctly set up.

IMG-1761.jpg

Last edited:
If it bolts to one and then the other, should be pretty easy to figure out the issue. Using the same adapter without any issue. Sure that input shaft is correct?

Ah I see it isn’t on the engine now, input shaft shouldn’t matter so forget that. Anyways, you really can’t tell the issue from just looking around? Definitely should be flush.

Yeah that should just slide in before you even get to the four bolts. On your last pic it kind of looks like an out of round area at the 11 o-clock position of the input shaft opening? Definitely don't force it, the aluminum bearing retainer is pretty thin in that area, someone else on the board cracked his forcing things if I recall. Try measuring the gap and then subtract that from the front of the retainer and you'll have an idea where it's hitting.

Looks like the thickness of the oring to me. I don't recall where that oring goes, been too many years, but that may need to get squished down a little. Maybe try taking it out, see if it all slides right together.

I tried this, the same situation. The furthest most end of the bearing retainer is what it's contacting. Every time I mount it up and remove it there is a new scuff on the retainer so I know that's where it must be contacting. I'm just confused because there are only three parts here, the trans, the bellhousing, and the adapter. It's the o-ring I got in the kit. I'll try some more tomorrow.
Looks like the thickness of the oring to me. I don't recall where that oring goes, been too many years, but that may need to get squished down a little. Maybe try taking it out, see if it all slides right together.

I had the exact same issue.

DO NOT TIGHTEN IT DOWN IF IT ISNT FLUSH!

You will deform the aluminum

This is how I solved it.

I first attached the adapter plate to the trans. The adapter plate will center to outer dia. of the input bearing retainer. I then installed the bell housing to the adapter plate. The bellhousing will center to same input bearing retainer. This process will allow you to ensure everything sits flush before you bolt everything together.

Once you have the bell housing trans and adapter plate bolted together I would then separate the the trans from the adaptor plate, install the bell housing to the engine and check for bellhousing concentricity

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6033206&postcount=105

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to do this later tonight. Should be the fix, Thanks!
I had the exact same issue.

DO NOT TIGHTEN IT DOWN IF IT ISNT FLUSH!

You will deform the aluminum

This is how I solved it.

I first attached the adapter plate to the trans. The adapter plate will center to the outer dia. of the input bearing retainer. I then installed the bell housing to the adapter plate. The bellhousing will center to the same input bearing retainer. This process will allow you to ensure everything sits flush before you bolt everything together.

Once you have the bell housing trans and adapter plate bolted together I would then separate the trans from the adaptor plate, install the bell housing to the engine and check for bellhousing concentricity

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6033206&postcount=105

I’ve had the same thing happen when the clutch or pilot are not perfectly aligned.
Have someone press the clutch pedal when you have the trans mostly seated (like in your picture), give the trans a wiggle and a push. That might be all that’s holding it up.

Edit: disregard. I see that it’s not even in the car yet.

I connected the adapter plate to the transmission then mounted the bellhousing and everything was flush, no gap. I don't understand why the order of mounting the pieces together mattered but now it's all set up. I tried installing the trans this evening but it seems very difficult to install it with the bellhousing, I will try installing only the bellhousing and then connecting the trans. My only concern is that I will encounter this issue with the gap if I try to do that. Does anyone have tips on installing a T5?

Deeworks T5 Speedometer Block off

Has anyone used it? I found that it doesn't seem to fit but I don't see how that would even be possible, it's such a simple piece. It doesn't fit any further into the hole than the picture. I already damaged my o-ring trying to push it in further.
IMG-1774.jpg

Mine fit perfectly, did you lube the o-ring with a little ATF before you installed? Only issue I had was the bolt was a little to long.
27pzRyll.jpg

Hell of a lot easier with the bellhousing done separately otherwise you need to rotate the whole damn thing to get the starter hump cleared. I would think it should just slip right in after initial alignment. Hope you have a transmission jack, makes life a lot easier unless you're fond of bench pressing 75 pounds of aluminum while under a car. The cheapo Harbor Freight scissor trans jack works fine for cars on jack stands. Try to get the trans input shaft splines lined up with the clutch hub before hand as close as possible. You may have to rotate the crank from the front bolt or if you have a helper follow culberro's advice. Take your time and check the clearance going in from time to time, don't force it. You don't want to mess up the pressure plate splines. I'm actually popping mine back in tomorrow as well... Good luck!

Back