• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

California Smog Testing Will Now Sniff Out (and Fail) Tuned ECUs

On newer cars, I would just use a handheld flash tuner. I have one for my V50 T5, takes 3 minutes or so to set it back to a stock tune. Rica iSoftloader

apparently the software used can tell if you've done that. now whether or not they actually check, that may vary, but apparently they can tell.

also, as this progresses, the amount of changes you're allowed to do decrease with the various tuning systems as well. HPT has for the last year or two already been removing functionality

apparently the software used can tell if you've done that. now whether or not they actually check, that may vary, but apparently they can tell.

also, as this progresses, the amount of changes you're allowed to do decrease with the various tuning systems as well. HPT has for the last year or two already been removing functionality

The tuners in this case are really just hackers and the manufacturers or smog techs are the defenders.

One thing I've learned from working in cybersecurity is that hackers will eventually find a way around any mechanism the defender deploys. Whether it be through sidestepping the tech or exploiting a vulnerability. The hacker only has to get lucky once. The defender has to be successful every time.

As such I don't think this will stop people from tuning their cars through flashing the ECU or otherwise modifying the EFI system. They will just get more creative in how they do it.

Well the OEM can always set the write once bit on the prom and it can't be overwritten. That would force all the tuners to change the prom used in the ECU making it obvious there has been unauthorized changes in the unit. Then it's easy for them to void any warranty.

I'm surprised CA hasn't started using the drive by sniffers to catch gross polluters. I can see a CARB officer now running from car to car in the usual traffic jam to check cars. He will make a beeline right for any older car. :lol:

On newer cars, I would just use a handheld flash tuner. I have one for my V50 T5, takes 3 minutes or so to set it back to a stock tune. Rica iSoftloader

The software would always register this as event and log it in the non-erasable memory. Manufacturers protect themselves from invalid warranty claims this way. So now BAR is simply getting access to this level of information on the ECU.

Last edited:
Directly from the BAR-OIS Modified Software Implementation guide. If a vehicle fails and the owner insists the software is OEM, substantiation of an OEM calibration would require the following information from the dealer:
  • Software Version
  • Calibration ID
  • Calibration Verification Number (checksum)

This is nothing new. Since the requirement in 2005 that all vehicles report this information, BAR has always had access to this information when doing smog checks. It's just now being enforced that those items have to match what they have from the OEM's in a database. They've been documenting how many vehicles don't have OEM software, which is how they generated their fail statistics. I'd imagine the entire purpose of this new law follows the amount of data they've collected for vehicles that will fail.

Flash counter isn't part of that list. It's not uncommon for OEM's to update software in vehicles that would increment the flash counter, meaning two identical vehicles of the same model year can both have OEM software with different flash counter readings. It's not an issue for the OEM to track this info within their own system, but there's nothing yet requiring an entire database from each dealer in the entire state to submit updated flash counter info for each and every vehicle on the road. The state just wants to see the above listed conditions in their OEM state.

Unless the flash counter alters the CVN (which isn't the case for any Ford or GM PCM I've ever dealt with) then flashing back to stock should not be an issue for smog.

Last edited:
I wonder the BAR is going to release valid software ID's/checksums list or a link to that info that the tech can verify on the spot. Kind of like they do with CARB EO #'s.

I think that in part this is meant to deal with people ignoring visiting the dealer for required or very recommended software updates. Some of which are emission related. Seems reasonable.

Ehhh. Kinda sorta. They can't fail you for having software that's older than the current based on the CVN history. The link I provided for GM will give you the entire CVN history for a particular controller with details on the revisions as they are released. This current campaign currently exists to address that a measurable percentage of the cars on the road have software that's not OEM or CARB EO'd based on data collected from sniffing vehicle data during smog tests since 2006ish. From that standpoint, it tells the BAR that the emissions control systems are tampered on all, or most of those vehicles. In essence, they've already known for a long time WHO has modified ECU's, this is their notice to those people to make it right or fail your emissions test.

For instance, my 2019 F350 PSD has a recommended software upgrade to address exhaust brake instabilities while towing. The BAR can't fail me if I don't have that software upgrade.

There are certain models that won't pass at all unless the ECU software is upgraded, and that's all documented on the BAR's website as this has been an ongoing since before these new rules were enacted. A LOT of BMW's require reflashes to pass smog, but that's been like that for quite some time.

This link shows the current list of vehicles with known issues and how the smog tech should address them:
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/OBD_Test_Reference

Many of the known issues with certain vehicles have been programmed to be ignored in the BAR-OIS test.

Last edited:
Back