home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
MSGGrunt
Board Member

Default 940 Turbo Donor Car Parts Grab

I have searched and didn't find exactly what I need to know going forward with MY turbo swap. Lots of information on bolting turbo parts on a non turbo motor but I want to swap the entire motor/transmission.

The car the motor will be going into is a 1991 240 sedan.

The donor car is a complete 1994 940T wagon and I am looking for advice on what parts to scavenge. My intent is to swap the entire motor into the 240 keeping it as stock as possible until I get it road worthy and then I can decide on any upgrades. The motor and parts will be removed for a transplant in the future, I can't keep the entire car hanging around for as long as this project will take.

What to pull before giving the shell away?

- Motor of course and all of its associated hardware/accessories/bolt-ons
- Radiator. I have read the 940's are wider and mods need to be made. I'll grab it anyway.
- Intercooler. Same as the radiator.
- Oil cooler
- ECU? Just one?
- Any special replays?
- Fuel pump/pumps? I've read the turbo ones are different.
- Transmission. Unlike most I want an automatic. Use the 940's or 240's?
- Driveshaft?
- Rear differential/complete rear axle? To take advantage of the locking differential?
- Section of exhaust down pipe.
- Radiator overflow resevoir?
- Windshield washer reservoir?
- Coil?

What am I missing? Anything else to grab?

The motor has around 175,000 miles on it and my intent would be to at least pull the head and give it a complete valve job. While the head is off inspect the cylinders and maybe refresh the walls with a ball hone and give it a new set of rings if everything is well within factory specifications. Maybe even go so far as a complete rebuild depending. At a minimum replace all gaskets and paint it so she looks pretty. The motor in the 240 currently has 250,000 miles and runs fine, so I am in no hurry with this project. I figured redoing the motor would be a good winter project for a spring/summer install.
1991 Volvo 240 Auto, 4-door sedan. 255k 2-owner car
1991 Volvo 245 Auto, 5-door wagon. 158k ??? owners
2000 Audi TT 5-speed, 2-door. 78k 1-owner car
2007 Porsche Cayman S, 6-speed. 42k 1-owner car

Ownership not including me.
MSGGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
EivlEvo
Board Member

IF it has an AW71 trans then grab it... otherwise it's the same as your 240. The driveshafts are different in 940 iirc so forget that. If it has a locking diff then you can yank the diff, but the axles are different I think. Grab both ECUs. Grab the injector resistor packs. Coolant bottle is a nice to have yes. IC/Rad brackets. Pumps... who cares. Coil doesn't really matter. You should grab all of the AC stuff as well though... that system is an R134a system and yours is R12.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

The torque converter has different stall speed between a NA and a T
Grab the gearbox
You have to use the intermediate shaft and the dizzy from the 240
A G80 is a pile of s h i t, forget this one. Sell it and be happy.
full exhaust, easy to modify
and everything else EvilEvo wrote....
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
MSGGrunt
Board Member

Thanks for the input. Makes sense on the torque converter.

Sounds like if I want an auto then using the one out of the 940 is the better way to go. I read a bit about the G80 rear diff and some hate it while others like it. If free would it be better than the open diff in my 240?

I have read where you can block off the back of the 940 head where the distributor is on these and use the 240 location with a "crab" distributor cap. The downfall people talk about being that in order to remove the distributor you need to remove the head. I am not sure I would be worried about having to remove and install the distributor multiple times. I know shorter/modified bodied ones can be had if I want to go that route. Just an added cost.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
MSGGrunt
Board Member

What are BOTH ECUs? Locations?

Is the injector resistor packs not part of the motor or is it something attached to the firewall or fender?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
EivlEvo
Board Member

Both ECUs. The LH computer (fuel) and the EZK (ignition) they're both in the pax footwell. The LH is on the fender side and the EZK is on the firewall side. Really easy to grab/get to. (Although now that I type this all... that's on a 240... I'm not sure about the 940's.

Injector pack I also don't know for sure since I never bothered to mess with them but iirc it's on the left side fender near the power stage? But don't quote me on that.

If you're yanking the trans anyway grabbing the diff IF it has a G80 is probably worth it. It's definitely crap but also better than open.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
permavirgin777

EZK on a 940 is above the pedal assembly. ECU is under the glove compartment, to the right, under the plastic interior trim cover.

permavirgin777 is offline   Reply With Quote