• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 coilovers

sleepySOHC

So I'm planning on ordering my coilover pieces, been digging thru old TB threads and the 8" length springs seem to pop up often along with using the 5" length coilover sleeve kit. I plan on shortening the strut housing a little.
Havent decided on a front damper yet, any insight on that or do I need a set of valves Billy's to the spring spec?

As far as the rest end goes I have 300# on it now I'm just getting 2" shorter springs. I have new nitro slammer shocks coming in the mail soon.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Wagons my daily but I wouldn't mind some autoX on weekends.

Tdlr: 8" 350# front w/ 5" sleeve kit and a 8" 300# rear spring 5" diameter rear.

my car had 8" rear springs originally and I'm running 10" now for just that reason.

Just out of curiousity, What rates are you running? I'm on 350lb 8"x2.5" Front and 275lb 11"x5"rear with Koni adjustables all around, Pretty happy with it overall.

(I thought they were 10" but I checked my notes and it says 11")

Just out of curiousity, What rates are you running? I'm on 350lb 8"x2.5" Front and 275lb 11"x5"rear with Koni adjustables all around, Pretty happy with it overall.

(I thought they were 10" but I checked my notes and it says 11")

And I think I might actually have a 10.5"? Hard to remember.

I'm running 350/250 with the Konis as well and I'm satisfied.

so 350# front seems good for the fronts? what koni's and you on a shortened housing?

300# gona be too much for the rear? wagon if that matters. i pulled my 10.5 (275# if i remember correctly) out today and gave em to my buddy. one stock whatever blown shocks they really didnt feel bad but also would fall out at full droop.

8" rear is super short. I've used 11" x 200 and 11" x 250 and 11" (measured 10.75") x 325. With my revalved Bilstein HDs that had the droop length reduced 1", the springs remain captured between two 240 upper spring seats (one mounted on the bottom, they weren't pigtail springs). I had no adjusters, just low on the rear, but not dragging mudflaps low.

Here's an 8" (red) mounted with a tender & helper on the rear. There's at least another inch of spring between the helper & tender that are fully compressed at ride height. But an 8" spring will make the rear very low.

127283285.jpg

127283287.jpg

I have 8" 175 lb springs in back. RSI recommended them when I made my order a long time ago. I don't mind the stiffness for a daily driver but they're way too short. I had to make some 1" puck spacers to go below the bottom perch and they're still short enough that they would pop out if I didn't have limiting straps.

see my adjuster sleeve i use sits a good inch or so high before the spring even sits so total length with a 8" spring would probably be 9/9.5"

would a spring that short in 300# be alot or should i go a little lower? the 10.5" 275# springs on my old worn out rear shocks wasnt bad at all..

my new shocks came in today and theyre pretty damn short lol

8" rear is super short. I've used 11" x 200 and 11" x 250 and 11" (measured 10.75") x 325. With my revalved Bilstein HDs that had the droop length reduced 1", the springs remain captured between two 240 upper spring seats (one mounted on the bottom, they weren't pigtail springs). I had no adjusters, just low on the rear, but not dragging mudflaps low.

Here's an 8" (red) mounted with a tender & helper on the rear. There's at least another inch of spring between the helper & tender that are fully compressed at ride height. But an 8" spring will make the rear very low.

127283285.jpg

127283287.jpg

8" 175#'s are stiff?

I have 8" 175 lb springs in back. RSI recommended them when I made my order a long time ago. I don't mind the stiffness for a daily driver but they're way too short. I had to make some 1" puck spacers to go below the bottom perch and they're still short enough that they would pop out if I didn't have limiting straps.

I would definitely get 10" springs at least. Here's my 8 inch springs, with puck spacer, with perches adjusted all the way up.

48DJAg6l.jpg

They're not stiff. By stiffness, I meant I like the spring rate pretty well for a daily. If I was autocrossing it, I'd probably want a higher spring rate, but if you drag race, I think you want the rear a bit more compliant for weight transfer.

When you start running springs with that low a spring rate and length you start to need to worry about exceeding the load capacity of the spring. Probably wouldn't be a problem if your car is always empty but, if you had a full trunk and 3 people... you would exceed the capacity of the springs.

When you start running springs with that low a spring rate and length you start to need to worry about exceeding the load capacity of the spring. Probably wouldn't be a problem if your car is always empty but, if you had a full trunk and 3 people... you would exceed the capacity of the springs.

I believe it. I hardly ever have a full trunk or even a single passenger. My wife doesn't really like the car much :lol:. At most I have a buddy in the front seat.

Y'all need to run longer springs. I'm running 225x12" in the front, and 175x13" in the rear (rears are big 5" diameter, using stock perches moved to the bottom and threaded adjusters on top). And the car sits like this:

io7qdKw.jpg

I could go down at least another inch in the rear, and at least 3 in the front. Neither end of the car is at risk of losing a spring at full droop. The front and rear both have a tiny bit of preload at full droop (like 1/2" at most). And I have stock length shocks at both ends.

Y'all need to run longer springs. I'm running 225x12" in the front, and 175x13" in the rear (rears are big 5" diameter, using stock perches moved to the bottom and threaded adjusters on top). And the car sits like this:

io7qdKw.jpg

I could go down at least another inch in the rear, and at least 3 in the front. Neither end of the car is at risk of losing a spring at full droop. The front and rear both have a tiny bit of preload at full droop (like 1/2" at most). And I have stock length shocks at both ends.

:nod:

Back