• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

A/c compressor replace?

brickyard92

I have a 1992 740,the a/c works good but makes noises when i turn it on.Its definitely the compressor.The car has 241100 miles in it. Is the compressor dying on me?

Should i wait until it does or swap it out? If i swap it out what other components should be considered?

If noisy when engaged, but no noise off, then likely on its death bed.

If you run til failure the compressor metal debris will pass thru you condenser and plug your orifice tube, stopping the system. Otherwise when compressor locks up for it will shred your AC belt which could do more damage.

IMO it is always to your advantage to remedy on your clock (planned) rather than waiting for the machine to decide.

What year car?

With an internal rattle you compressor has already filled the lines, condenser, expansion coils and hoses with debris. You are going to have to disassemble each part and clean with a $35 a quart AC system cleaner . . . or use brake cleaner. I suggest complete disassembly as that gives a much more thorough result and it would be a good time to replace all the 'O' rings anyway.

Last edited:
Back