• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Converting back to Power Steering

Hello!

Recently purchased a 91 non-turbo sedan w/ M47 for fairly cheap. One of the PO swapped out the P/S for a manual rack from an older model. From what I understand he was tired of having leaking and also wanted to eliminate parasitic power loss.

I've no real experience with this sort of conversion, and boy does the thing drive like a boat (more than usual). The steering has a lot of play and the response feels laggy and soft, and makes me worried about lane drift as well as the inability to execute a defensive maneuver if need be.

To compound the issue, I live in NYC and I park on the street, and the thing is incredibly hard to parallel park with the manual steering set up. Mostly due to the poor ratio and response, not to mention how heavy the 240 can feel. Additionally the steering wheel and column shake like the world is ending on rough road.

I'd like to convert back to P/S, and I was wondering what my best options are to do that. I was given a P/S rack with the car (the original?), but would it make more sense to go with a new rack from a place like Detroit Axle?

My other question is, what would be the part list to go back to P/S. The pump was obviously removed and the alternator was relocated.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give, and even if you don't.

Last edited:
You'll need everything in this pic and the proper ball joints if they were changed to manual steering ball joints when the manual rack was done.

GR-58960.jpg

Judging by how heavy you mention the steering is. You probably still have the power steering ball joints on the car. With the skinny stock wheels and tires even manual steering shouldn't be too heavy. So at least that may be one thing you won't have to reinstall.

Judging by how heavy you mention the steering is. You probably still have the power steering ball joints on the car. With the skinny stock wheels and tires even manual steering shouldn't be too heavy. So at least that may be one thing you won't have to reinstall.

Yeah that's what I figured after reading a couple of threads on converting the other way round.

Back