• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

66 122 - The car I shouldnt keep but like too much

last few days

just when one thing is fixed something else takes a crap.

generator went bad. I had a spare one but that one was bad also. Thankfully these cars use up like no energy so you can drive for a long time before the battery will die. My friend in Paradise Ca (about 25 miles) has a know good one and told me how to bench test them. 12v to b- or B+ (dont remember which) and - to -. If it spins then its good. Eric and Ian told me to check for charging; ground green wire at regulator and that forces the generator to charge battery. It should go up right away. Drove it to his house and replaced it

locvGwNh.jpg

fmUvrEQh.jpg

top is spare that I had - its easier to leave the bracket on car
j9lSOsuh.jpg

bad radiator mounts
wk5EGAwh.jpg

replaced all 3 with new hardware
qjD00Qth.jpg

throttle linkage bracket - missing bushing
RbIHu9Vh.jpg

got one powder coated - make sure to enlarge hole since PC makes the linkage stick
88wGB7Gh.jpg

meet the dude that says he got these made in Japan back in the day. Worked or owned Swedeparts, said his cost was $5 each and it was a company to compete with IPD. The heater hoses are flush with bottom of intake instead of going lower like what I have seen. ALso note the Volvo part number.
hRSzXV0h.jpg

Last edited:
been busy with rearranging junk in my garage/back yard lately along with waiting on parts for the Su HS6 swap

today what I thought would just be a quick dashboard clean up took a few hours - its easy to get lost in all the details

before - dirty paint, sun cancer plastic on heater control, broken radio surround
YcJwKo3h.jpg

wnbhtW7h.jpg

speaker doesnt look to bad
mmtt099h.jpg

until you remove the top mesh - it actually still worked OK sometimes
cLnvzpEh.jpg

replaced it with some 90s alpine I had for now
DAJ4UQih.jpg

radio - decited to ditch the surround. Cleaned the potentiometer, replaced burnt out bulb inside, cleaned and polished the plastics
how do you set the "channel" buttons? all of these just move the station to 108

I somehow managed to lose one of the hold down bolts - threads into the radio unlike later model that have a nut. Any Idea where I can get one ?
8KzjPUnh.jpg

done - I also polished up the ashtray surround - I'll be painting it later
0li9Fuph.jpg

I also managed to get the passenger side floor light working - how the hell do you remove this switch? I cant get the silver spin nut off. Everything is now loose
gFv4ePKh.jpg

Dial in a station. When you get good reception on it pull one of the buttons out then push it back in as far as it will go. Set. :)

Dial in a station. When you get good reception on it pull one of the buttons out then push it back in as far as it will go. Set. :)

I learned that when I had my first Corvair- a 1964 sedan with a working original pushbutton AM unit. I had to google it!

Dash is looking good. I waxed the dash on my boys 122s, made a big difference.
Where did you source your carb linkage bracket bushing?

You just pull the button out to set the channel. Sheesh

One of these guys is my friend

I learned that when I had my first Corvair- a 1964 sedan with a working original pushbutton AM unit. I had to google it!

radio works great - not original to the 122 but to the 140. Sept of 1970

took it for a drive

road below the dam got opened few weeks ago after being closed over a year. About 3 miles from my house
P3FjiBph.jpg

XdPcWoVh.jpg

Ssastbkh.jpg

8wb5PA6h.jpg

by the time the water reaches bottom its going over 90mph and is equivalent of 1,000,000 horsepower
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gFfbTpvrAyU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Finished fixing another project so I could finally get to installing the SUs
(those are 33s)
7qjy96Zh.jpg

before
my carb to manifold bolts were loose - make sure you check those sometimes :oops:
Cl5RZgVh.jpg

single mani and downpipe are going
tebeHrjh.jpg

I had this cut-off-intake-exhaust-manifold around so I decided to clean it up. Port it, high temp paint it and wrap it. 3" down pipe on my 850 has been wrapped for 100k+. I painted it with high temp ceramic paint and wrapped it. Wrap had to be redone after 80k but the pipe looked great... we'll see how this one holds up

before
wUqF6euh.jpg

gasket matching - it's pretty damn close at head already and even at the other side
Ow99HZ8h.jpg

one side done
gj5Pbbph.jpg

decided to replace studs - FUUUUUU - one was too studly
Jzgh6Yrh.jpg

so I .... yeah cast iron
YeNqUd9h.jpg

crap picture so I put on hipster filter on it
JF5BE91h.jpg

downpipe - got a used one from an 1800 friend. Sandblasted
tsGApzuh.jpg

ran out of wrap - derp
XiZZ0dAh.jpg

got a new gasket for throttle linkage
before
S9bv6yVh.jpg

after - I think tomorrow Im going to pull the whole assembly off and clean it properly, also my gas pedal vibrates like crazy - the bushing wore out
EkiwIGoh.jpg

Last edited:
took the gas pedal assembly off and wire brushed it, tightened the loose rivet at pedal, rotated the rubber grommet, put some grease where it mounts. Forgot to take pictures of it cleaned up. Kind of tricky to get it off with heater box on but it's possible 3/10

Rpx2atgh.jpg

nbAagUxh.jpg

Exhaust bracket has seen better days - ditching this setup for flex pipe and will rely on rear hangers only now
cg2HR8Uh.jpg

I was too lazy to take welder out and also the grinder with cut off wheel
rHIKAqvh.jpg

after installation The HiPerformance tells me eye lid up but down will work. I need to change it because they will know I hacked this up
vZadoWQh.jpg

another crappy photo - another hipster filter. "Dry" mounted on there, got to stop for today
8SsWlNKh.jpg

Interior is nice on that car.

Nice progress!

thank you. Coming along one piece at a time

Not much done today

grommet where the choke and speeo cables go thourgh - weird how it's all melted
qAit55lh.jpg

replaced it when installing new choke cables
UfhwWiTh.jpg

installed choke cables, new fuel hoses, throttle linkage, tightened down the carbs. Took the alternator off to get better access to down pipe bolts. Tomorrow I have to weld the exhaust and tune this thing
I need to fix the cooling hoses too

4y6SqUsh.jpg

With some help from Eric and Ian to adjust idle I got it running today. I will weld the exhaust tomorrow and finish adjusting it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NAHDMZwEbkI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back