• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LED headlights for volvo 240's

biohazardav

So I've experiemented with hids, leds, halogens. Needless to say Hids on volvo plastic american headlights are an awful mix. ive been working on this idea of making the first set of LED housings for the the later 240 plastic aero lens styles i believe its called.
SAM_1817_resize.jpg

my work so far is the plastic reflectors housings cut and mated with a heatsink which has 3 xm-l cree led stars mounted with jb weld and soldered and wired in a parallel circuit. i was driving them with 2 dc-dc converters which are adjustable from about a volt to 5 volts, each provides more than enough amps. each housing has a ghetto pc fan on the back lol, they actually stay real cool.

heres some pics:

image003_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

these cree leds are 6500k typically driven around 3.35 volts with a maximum current of 3 amps. that means 10 watts per a star, over 3000 lumens of output per a headlight housing. dayum.

so far, I'm really close to having a working prototype and set. however i accidentally popped the left housing with too much current. now i really understand why people stick with current regulated supplies rather than voltage regulated, ill be ordering special drivers soon. i cant buy xm-l crees anymore so i have to go to the new type which are xm-l2's, basically the same thing.

what you guys think? suggestions?

Those look really cool, but are you going to reuse those yellow plastic lenses, and also how are you going to do high / low beams?

the picture of the volvo was just an example of the type of headlights im using. im definitely going to make sure the lenses arent yellow anymore.

can you get a hold of those euro spec lights that are the smaller square with the glass lens?
I bet those would look awesome with leds

probably but i would need some pictures of the assembly. and of course i have to get ahold of a set. once i finish a set of my USA spec ones i could try a set of euros

is nobody liking the idea of led headlights on a old volvo?

I think a few people are already running LED headlights on their old Volvo,...

Nothing against your attempt at this but I'd rather save my money and buy
Some KC or Sylvania LED units, pricey but proven.

This is why you've gotta make some custom housings, even if it means just fab a metal shield to cover most of the top of the existing lens, so the beam will be lower.

obviously this is just over some peoples heads. I ask if possible for this thread to be deleted. sorry but no one gets how much brighter and these are compared to those crap pop in replacements. someone just delete this.

obviously this is just over some peoples heads. I ask if possible for this thread to be deleted. sorry but no one gets how much brighter and these are compared to those crap pop in replacements. someone just delete this.

There are better off the shelf solutions you can buy today that put out perfectly aimed bright light that is plenty enough for anyone, notably the knockoff Chinese made e-code assemblies with glass lenses. While not Harbor Freight cheap, relatively affordable. Plus they won't make it look like the car is powered by meth. I can appreciate your enthusiasm, though.

But yeah, I've started posts I felt like deleting. It happens.

Back