• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No power up hills

durk80

First of all, I apologize for the long-winded post. My dad and I lapped the valves on my 240 non turbo after having the head planed down. We replaced 2 intake valves and one exhaust. I lapped them to ensure they had a seal. We replaced the stem seals, hushers, as well as new springs and seats. After this we did the math and put the necessary valve spacers in the respective places. I did the measurements without the hushers installed so I hope that was okay. The plugs were gapped to .030".
We had the most trouble with installing the new timing belt. I aligned the marks to the corresponding lines on the belt to the dots, but when I installed the lower timing cover which is manufactured by Uro, I noticed the mark on the balancer did not correspond to the cover's mark of zero. It's about an inch to the right of the zero mark even though the metal spacer on the crankshaft's half circle aligns to the line on the back of the plate.
The car starts and drives, but the acceleration seems worse even with the same M cam which wasn't great before but It could go up hills without downshifting. The timing belt itself was extremely hard to slip on. It needed some leverage--hardly with ease as the ipd video showed!

I'm hoping that someone who has done this process before can point me in the right direction of what I need to do to make the car better and can let me know if the marks on the Uro cover are accurate. Thank you for your help in advance!

The lines on the belt are not always accurate in my experience. I'd go off the marks on the covers, but also there are some great visuals out there in manuals and on the internet.
If you Google "Volvo b230 timing belt" you'll find a lot of great assets.

Does the rotor line up to the small notch around 7-8 o'clock(as you're standing in front looking down)?

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m483/KyungKimSoo/IMG_0615.jpg (* sorry not a good image, but the rotor should center on the small notch)

Thanks, Otto Mattik, the picture is perfect! I aligned the intermediate shaft dot to the dot on the cover. This picture shows where my rotor was when I put the belt on. I will reinstall it when I get home with the rotor between the two red marks!
Thank you again!!!!

What year/model?

Here's a couple more references:
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/B230FTimingBeltAlignment.htm

LH2.4 block mount distributor (bolt hole not quite lined up, but close):
disti-alignment-at-1-TDC.jpg

Time it based off of the crank washer, not the harmonic balancer. The contitech belt lines work perfectly every time for me. Make sure the camshaft is at TDC, aux shaft is at the 3 o’clock position, and crank is at TDC. These are easy engines to time, but they’re also easy to mistime. 1 tooth off will cause the issues you’re having.

I’d remove the harmonic balancer and triple check timing marks. Feel free to post pics and we can take a look.

Back