• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MikeJr's 242 Project

damn, one more reason your gonna have to paint my 242 :-)

doing water based right definitely requires a different approach then oil based from what i have heard.

damn, one more reason your gonna have to paint my 242 :-)
We both have something the other one wants. :oogle:

doing water based right definitely requires a different approach then oil based from what i have heard.
Water based isn't a "bad" product, it's just a time/cost issue. If fact some of the water based clears lay down pretty nice. I've heard PPGs water based line is pretty good.

Mike you have to force dry WB with fans correct? That always turns me off. I have a hard enough time keeping dust out of what I spray as it is. So far the quantities I spray in the shop 2k urethanes have been OK with the local yokals

Yes it has to be forced dried. One of our painters got the water dialed in but it's still took longer and cost more. We will probably go back to it one day.

More blacking out

150374597.jpg

150374600.jpg

150374602.jpg

150374604.jpg

150367004.jpg

150367005.jpg

150367008.jpg

150367009.jpg

Very cool Project!:)242 Group a is the ultimate Volvo, no doubt about it:nod:

Do you Paint and do bodywork yourself?Looks like high quality work:)Keep up the Nice work and post some New Pictures soon!Im following:)

What's taking so long for me to put this car back together you ask? Well because I'm doing things like cleaning the inside of my tag lights with a Q-tip, or sanding and painting my licence plate bolts :roll:. It has been a very slow and tedious build. Lots of stuff like that, but it's coming along.

Front end is some what built. The e-codes have been rebuilt (taken apart, cleaned, replaced the plastic adjusters, and painted the upper trim) and I clear coated the turn signals with automotive clear. They turned out really good.
154037067.jpg

Blacked out the quarter glasses
154037075.jpg

I wasn't real happy with the way the painted black-out area looked on the top of the doors and quarters, so I removed it and decided to lay down a black stripe like the one from the factory instead. I found some 3M 3" black stripe tape and layed that down. I was much happier with the way it turned out.
154037087.jpg

154037092.jpg

I also got my coilovers installed in the front, but I'm going to take them back out and shorten the strut tubes, and cause I realized I didn't put any needle bearings in.
154037093.jpg

154037076.jpg

Nathan has been working on a 16v twin scroll header for me. He sent me these pictures.
It is amazing.
154037086.jpg

154037066.jpg

154037091.jpg

I also clear coated my tail lamps using automotive clear. They also turned out very nice.
154037070.jpg

Like my plate? :)

I forgot to post a picture of the bumpers getting painted. We used Hot Rod semi gloss paint. It turned out really nice. It made them look like the new factory finish. I also did a set for my Dads 242.
154047378.jpg

Back