• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1986 Volvo 240dl LS/Truck motor swap 4l60e Fender flares with burn outs to come

icdpride

Currently doing a LM7 swap on my 1986 240 and I am doing the wiring and I was just wondering from those that have done it before what the preference/what has worked best for those that have done it.

I am just run the stock truck harness stripped down to the engine needs, using the stock ecm, and stock fuse block stripped down of the non- essentials.

The options I have seen is:

1. Run stock harness, stock ecm, stock fuse block
2. Make a stand alone harness from the stock harness and run the stock ecm.
3. Run an aftermarket harness and stock ecu
4, Run stand alone set up with custom harness

Yes I realize there are more options then this but these seem to be the most common. Just wondering who has had experience good or bad, what worked and what hasn't if you could do it again what would you change

The Plan:

Engine: Run the stock 2004 5.3l iron block with the stock 706 heads. Run that till it is up and running then upgrade from there

Trans: Run the 4l60e wired to shift manually

Driveshaft: Going to use the Volvo 240 2 piece driveshaft with a 4l60e slip yoke on the front

Wiring: Going to use the stock wiring harness strip out some of it, use the stock fuse box

ECU/ECM: Going to use the stock one and just reflash it

Cooling: Running a Nissan 240sx KA dual row radiator

Mounts: Making engine mounts and trans mount that bolt to existing subframes

Would love input from anyone who has done this swap or a swap similar of what the best things to do and avoid are
https://i.imgur.com/fdLo9Ccm.jpg

We need a dedicated section for just LSx swap info.

Agreed

Started to shove this thing in and damn auto trans are big lol
6X549gAl.jpg

And like everyone has said the truck oil pan would not clear unless I really really really want to beat the trans tunnel so I had to order an oil pan everyone was saying to buy the Holley 302-1 but that thing is expensive, but luckly someone on turbobricks.com found a much cheaper clone so I bought that one https://www.poormanmotorsports.com/...x-aluminum-rear-sump-oil-pan-aluminum-natural

Did some work, got the loom fully wrapped, pulled the engine and trans, go all the gaskets refreshed on the engine, got the torque converter installed, cleaned everything and got it painted and looking spiffy. Still need to figure out the trans cooler lines and trans dip stick.

Before:
2bWTAYwl.jpg

After:
Y9sXb9ol.jpg

RDMo5W9l.jpg

ZNIqAOcl.jpg

Next up trans cooler lines and then slam that bad boy back in that bay

Got the engine back in the car starting to figure out exhaust, there was some major clearance issues with the manifold and the stock steering shaft but with suggests from people who had done this swap before that coleman racing shaft worked great, now I have tons of room ... but still tons to do on this car

RNWrxi0l.jpg

LXviUXrl.jpg

Back