home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 09-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #51
redblockpowered
Board Member

I had a blast! I'll be back in the spring, after finals. Hopefully with more grip...
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #52
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
I had a blast! I'll be back in the spring, after finals. Hopefully with more grip...
I didn't notice a lot of body roll in your video. I'm assuming your 940 isn't stock. A bit more negative camber and a set of sticky tires goes a long way towards much quicker times. It sounds like you have rock hard street tires on your car. Greg Ervin and I used to run his 740 Turbo in Autocross. It started out as a stock 740 T when he bought it and ended up a stripped out streetable race car. He still isn't done modifying it. Maybe, he'll be back racing it by next season. He came out for our clubs last event this year with his 242 GT.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #53
redblockpowered
Board Member

It is bone stock, on Kumho all-seasons and 15s. M90 swap means I have to run with the big boys but don't let that fool you. I don't think I'll go that far but certainly there's some margin of error between "couch" and "race car"

In hindsight, maybe asking the people that walked up to me if it looked like I was pushing was a little silly...
Old 09-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #54
2manyturbos

Lol. That did not show up in your video. I have pics of my 780 Autocrossing that look like the rocker panel is touching the ground. I thought I heard a manual trans take off when you left the line. I could hear your rear tires squealing.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #55
redblockpowered
Board Member

Going back for revenge on Sunday. Only upgrades have been to the driver, unfortunately the IPD bars I bought won't be here in time. The body roll only bothered the instructors anyway.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #56
2manyturbos

Cool. Work on trail braking late into the turns to get that front suspension loaded ahead of time. It will get your 940 to rotate much better. If you can, try left foot braking. I haven't driven a manual trans 7 series in so long I don't remember how the pedal layout works out for left foot braking. If you can do it successfully, it will completely change the way that 940 works on the course. I finally ran on a course big enough and unobstructed course last event to work on left foot braking in my Mustang. It took me about 7 runs to get it right. The difference was significant. I have one more event myself this Sunday. This will be it for all Autocross in the NW until Feb/March. Post up your results. Good luck out there.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #57
redblockpowered
Board Member

I had a blast. Car was effectively the same as last time, setup wise so I just focused on improving my driving. I had a lot of success cornering at part throttle to keep from overloading the front suspension, in addition to trying to make smoother inputs. I don't have pictures or video from this time but the course was a lot more open (same venue) which suits the car a lot more. Finished 111th of 125 in raw time which I'm happy with considering what I'm working with (stock 940T except for M90 and boost controller) and the level of experience I have.

http://www.ner.org/wp-content/upload...llenge_raw.htm
Old 11-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #58
2manyturbos

Cool. Keep at it. I'm surprised to see 3 Volvos listed in the results. That's practically a Volvo convention considering the venue. How many runs did you get?

Last edited by 2manyturbos; 11-16-2019 at 05:49 PM..
Old 11-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #59
redblockpowered
Board Member

They were planning on six but due to the excess of cars we only got five. I was pretty surprised to see other Volvos kicking around too.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #60
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
This excursion tortured the RE71R tires on my GT. I won't do another track day without having something different on my car. [...]
Frank's 245

A ride along from inside the car on my last session.

ORP is pretty hard on tires in general, and the RE71Rs are also some of the fastest wearing Extreme Performance tires that have the 180TW+ rating that allows us to use them in endurance racing. The RS4s have a much longer lifespan and don't mind the constant abuse nearly as much, but they are typically a little slower.

I need to check out the videos still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Here's me losing my cone-dodging virginity in my 944 Turbo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUJwcZ2IYI0
w00! I assume you don't have any more events this year? Good job getting out there and learning. Do you feel you went faster this more recent time than the first time in the video? I get to practice trail braking a lot on the street when I'm hustling my wife's old Elantra around at speeds it shouldn't be going to prevent ripping the front tires off the wheels, haha. It definitely helps to ease into corners when there's so much body movement to get the front planted first!

Quote:
Greg Ervin [...] He came out for our clubs last event this year with his 242 GT.
GREG! I haven't seen him in years. I'm glad to hear he still has the car and I wish he would trailer it up to go drag racing again for fun. He was one of the fast cars years ago even with a basically stock car.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #61
2manyturbos

Kyle,

For a heavy car like my Mustang, what are a couple different makes of tires you see working for a combination track tire, possible Autocross tire? I'm planning on running more track days and will likely buy another set of wheels so I can have something that will hold up. I will still have a set of RE71Rs for Autocross. They work incredibly well in that application. I'm not out to set top lap times on the tracks. Something that will last so I can do track days without spending a fortune on tires.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #62
klr142
Turbo, what?

Hankook RS4s are your best bet, for certain. They're not going to be like the RE71Rs if going for fastest at the AutoX, but they're very good for a long long wearing tire that holds up to the track. I don't know what they have for tire sizes that are near your factory setup, but something close should suffice, I assume!
Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #63
2manyturbos

Thanks. I’ll look into what sizes are available and go from there. I don’t have to comply with any sort of rules for what I’m doing as far as track days. I’ll just find something that is appropriately sized for the car.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #64
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Thanks. I’ll look into what sizes are available and go from there. I don’t have to comply with any sort of rules for what I’m doing as far as track days. I’ll just find something that is appropriately sized for the car.
Best bang for the buck in my opinion is getting take offs from an SCCA world challenge team or some other similar series. Make friends with well a sponsored team and you will generally have no problem getting them for a reasonable price. I was paying on average $400 a set for practice take offs which were guaranteed 1-2 heat cycles with 75% depth or better. I ran dozens of track days and autocrosses this way over the past decade. One set would last a full auto x season and 1-2 track days. I was running 17's though as they were the most common size at the time. The spec Miata's were still running 15's then.

1966 Volvo Amazon, 2004 VW R32 Golf

Last edited by R32RennSport; 11-18-2019 at 09:05 PM..
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #65
2manyturbos

Good idea. It may be hard to find take offs in 19”. The brakes on the GT are so big it requires at least a 19” wheel to clear them.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #66
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

You might have a tough time there, the biggest that I normally see are 18's but a lot of modern stuff runs bigger sizes, might want to check the 911 cup cars and such.
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #67
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Thanks. Iíll look into what sizes are available and go from there. I donít have to comply with any sort of rules for what Iím doing as far as track days. Iíll just find something that is appropriately sized for the car.
I understand, it's just that they are relatively cheap and last longer than most all of their competitors by a sizeable margin. Teams sometimes get more than 24-36hrs out of a set where the RE71Rs won't last 12.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:34 PM   #68
noz-e8tr
Board Member

Testing image hosting that obviously didn’t work. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
This subculture is not conducive to meeting women let alone inspiring them to drive 30 year old, rectilinear, underpowered shit boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Disney
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
noz-e8tr is offline   Reply With Quote