• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Uncleknucklez 242 road ripper

Now you should find someone to do a run of them, sell them as a drop-in solution. lol

That was my thing with the flex, absolutely none, by design, so you can also run an actuator with enough preload to keep things closed at higher rev's.

NPR GOT!!

I bought two different sized eBay intercoolers, and after a few minutes with each, I quickly decided that I wanted something more "drop in"

I found an NPR intercooler local, and decided to pick it up last week. On the way over I blew a heater hose in the engine compartment.

u5jjcY9l.jpg

1B30ONgl.jpg

Luckily I had a short scrap of Gates universal heater hose in my trunk (who knows why, but I am glad it was there :e-shrug:) and limped the car to a gas station. I was able to change the hose and get back on the road after a quick distilled water refill.

With the intercooler in my possession, I decided to smooth the end tanks and paint them.

Primed
FL4mUW4l.jpg

Painted
2Wi1esBl.jpg

Installed
DYO0Cs7l.jpg

MlrKXLpl.jpg

and with the Radiator slam panel
XABPtbBl.jpg

1ZfWI4Fl.jpg

Plan is to build a hard pipe for my floppy and 740 stuff.

I also FINALLY finished the R134 wiring, and need a belt and to get the system filled with oil and tested for leaks. I am soooo close to cruising in AC comfort!

Last edited:
I forgot something....

I designed and built a test door card out of aluminum. I am tired of looking at my beat door cards, and this seems like an acceptable solution.

I laid out the cards with holes for manual windows and arm rests, as well as holes for the map pockets and such at the bottom. I also have a file for the power window versions, but I don't have a power window car so I am not sure if they will work or not.

Pics:

XRjTxwQl.jpg

6VyU9eGl.jpg

VCcJIxWl.jpg

Vzr0BJZl.jpg

aFWVP7hl.jpg

sHucV4Ql.jpg

Last edited:
As of two nights ago, I HAVE AC!!!! I was really nervous that the 1993 R134 system I put in the car would have issues, but Gary offered to vacuum and charge the system, So I swung by his place Wednesday night and we took a lash at it. (Peep that Sportwagon :oogle:)

Eo6440il.jpg

The system vacuumed down to 26 inches and sat there for about half an hour with the pump off, so he proceeded to measure out and fill the system with the appropriate amount of refrigerant. We fired up the system, and it cooled for a minute, then warm air out of the vents. After racking our brains and a couple phone calls, we were confident the system worked, and were hoping for air flow issue. Sure enough the heater control valve doesn't turn off all the way, as soon as I clamped the hose shut the vent temps dropped immediately. Success!

This was after a short drive from Harbor Freight at 90 degrees ambiant (to buy this dumb thermometer) I am going to help Gary with a project at his house, and if we have time I'm hoping we can throw the gauges back on to verify everything is G2G.
gLhCRSRl.jpg

My new heater control :roll:
SkrDX6Ml.jpg

I also ordered all new silicone heater and radiator hoses, a STS machining SS pass through, and also an Europartshouse heater valve kit (that hasn't arrived yet)
vKuIyKel.jpg

Truthfully, The "build" stage of this car is winding down. I plan to continue finalizing my aluminum door card file, and work through a couple bugs here and there. I would also like to really clean the engine bay, I'm not going crazy shaving and whatnot, but cleaner, fresh paint on some stuff. Also the blower motor is noisier than I would like, and that may need to be changed sooner rather than later. I would like to find some very light window tint to cut some UV and such. But we shall see.

Last edited:
Stupid work proxy, pics are blocked.

Just a heads up, might dig around for reviews on the heater valves. I know there's been some of the aftermarkets that are junk. David Saumels does have ones that actually hold up. I was going to mention tomorrow but since you've already ordered...

Stupid work proxy, pics are blocked.

Just a heads up, might dig around for reviews on the heater valves. I know there's been some of the aftermarkets that are junk. David Saumels does have ones that actually hold up. I was going to mention tomorrow but since you've already ordered...

Bummer about the pics, but you were there. lol

I ordered this retrofit valve, hoping this is the last one I will put in this car.

http://europartshouse.com/index.php..._id=36&zenid=334fec8645d1ae93e1f051653d2d1645

Attachments

• volvo-240-heater-valve-1348252-9131998.jpg
    volvo-240-heater-valve-1348252-9131998.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 351
I have had that valve in my car for 4 years. Probably the least troublesome aftermarket part in it.

Honestly, I don't follow the 240 valve scene much, 140 is slightly different and I have a NOS valve in the stash anyway. lol

We can definitely throw the gauges on it tomorrow, see how it looks.

if you really want to get rid of the residue heat inside you need a 4 port heater valve, or maybe a 3 port. I would put it in the engine bay. This way the coolant doesnt dead head and can still flow. Ive seen some on the 90's suburbans with rear heat and can install a switch to have it open close via engine vacuum. I was going to do this to my 245 but never got around to it. There is a lot heat that comes in even though its closed.

Last edited:
I haven't done the hoses yet, it's too damn hot out to even wash this thing. :roll:

I did pick up a roof rack for my bicycle last night and met a cool Volvo guy in the process. Drove from Sac to Livermore roughly 2 hours, and drove over the Altamont Pass, 100 degree outside temps, A/C cranked, the car never missed a beat. Thanks Mark!

9mLGuGpl.jpg

7Dfgu0El.jpg

Vent temps still ripping at 100 degree ambient Envirosafe ftw!
k2IsD4kl.jpg

Glad to hear it's still rocking Chris! Brought the wagon back to town monday after work, same deal, getting around 45* from the vents with the fan turned up high. :)

Glad to hear it's still rocking Chris! Brought the wagon back to town monday after work, same deal, getting around 45* from the vents with the fan turned up high. :)

Nice man, The best thing that I did was re-wire the 940 two speed relay, the Saab temp switch now controls the high speed, and the AC pressure switch controls the low. Seems to be alright for now.

I also ordered all new silicone heater and radiator hoses, a STS machining SS pass through, and also an Europartshouse heater valve kit (that hasn't arrived yet)
vKuIyKel.jpg

I bought very similar silicone 940T hoses for my 242+B230FT, and had a persistent leak at the lower radiator hose (right at the radiator). I thought it was due to overtorquing the hose clamp so I got pissed at it and replaced it with an OE Volvo rubber 940T hose. But now that leaks too in the same place. Either my radiator is tweaked or the hose won't seat properly due to the way I had to cut and shorten it to make it fit the 240. Just a heads up, and wondering if you have had any issues there.

I'm still envious of your working AC...nice job getting that sorted out.

I bought very similar silicone 940T hoses for my 242+B230FT, and had a persistent leak at the lower radiator hose (right at the radiator). I thought it was due to overtorquing the hose clamp so I got pissed at it and replaced it with an OE Volvo rubber 940T hose. But now that leaks too in the same place. Either my radiator is tweaked or the hose won't seat properly due to the way I had to cut and shorten it to make it fit the 240. Just a heads up, and wondering if you have had any issues there.

I'm still envious of your working AC...nice job getting that sorted out.

Oh boy :omg:

I have yet to dive into the hoses, water is my nemesis, I don't even work on plumbing in my home. I am really not looking forward to this, but I am looking forward to a flush and refill.

I will keep an eye on the lower hose for sure, mine currently weeps around that area every once in a while as it is.

Back