• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Does anyone rebuild brake calipers anymore?

TacoSalad

One of the brake calipers on my 940 is starting to get pretty sticky (one of the pads wore down all the way when the other was only half worn), and all 4 of them are dragging a little. I see that new calipers are only $40 or $50, is there any way rebuilding them (myself) makes any sense? The seal kits I see online are $30-$40. And if I do look at replacing them, is there a brand to look for?

Any decent name brand seal kit should do the job. The cheapo rebuilt calipers are junk, and you will be much better off re-doing your originals. If you have the time, and don't mind getting dirty, I would say go for it. Don't forget the boots and slider pins up front too.

Doesn't matter what brand, just do a good, clean job. Remove the pistons, check them for any marks. Clean them if in good condition, replace if damaged. Fit new seals, boots, grease the sliding pins, assemble, job done. Very satisfying. If ABS make sure to bleed the system properly

As long as the pistons aren't scored you should be fine. Me, I would just buy from a chain store an get a lifetime warranty.

I got calipers from NAPA for 2 of our wagons. If and when they go bad I go and get new ones.

My original calipers lasted 180k miles. Since then, about 80k miles... i went through about 4 sets of various rebuilt calipers. Ask me if I regret not rebuilding the originals? I have considered buying oem...

Local machine shop did 2 for me after the large pistons were rusted to the calipers. I paid $10/caliper and I provided the rebuild kit.

Use an air compressor to get the pistons out, watch out they can come flying out. When you install the dust boot, make sure it's seated properly. The seals for the calipers should face away from the pads, if that makes any sense.

Using air pressure to push out a piston can be very dangerous, and if the piston is stuck good you will not get it out. I use a fitting to adapt it to a grease gun {you are going to clean out the caliper anyway] this way you can slowly press out the piston, as for opposed pistons, put a block of metal in the rotor slot so that the one free piston stops and lets the other come out. Have done this many ,many times on rebuilding calipers.

Thanks everyone for the info. Rockauto has some raybestos kits for pretty cheap ($5 each front, $11 each rear), does that seem about right?

Back