• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Flywheel orientation

tonybaroni

I am mating a 90's b230 originally an auto, to a m41 tranny using an 8 bolt flat flywheel I picked up. the original clutch and pressure plate line up.

I have a couple questions.
First, is there a specific way to orient the flywheel to the crankshaft or can it be installed in any orientation?

Second, this new flywheel is thicker than the original flywheel from 73. I haven't tried fitting the tranny on yet. Is there typically enough room for the pressure plate and clutch to slide back farther into the bellhousing? Or should I have the flywheel machined to match the thickness of the original flywheel?

Third, what is the orientation of the crank angle sensor 60-2 missing teeth to the crankshaft? From my inspection, when cylinder 2&3 are at top of their throws, the 2nd missing tooth is lined up horizontally with the crank centerline, on the passenger side of the block. That assumes the engine turns over clockwise when viewed from the front. And 2nd refers to the 2nd missing spot as it moves by the sensor.

Thanks!

Assuming you are using the Boasch 2.4 or 3.1 ECU's, then the flywheel does need to be oriented a specific way. It uses the missing hole to locate TDC #1 (and #4, fwiw, the distributor sorts that out). With the engine at TDC #1 (per the timing marks at the front pulley - and be aware that the outer metal shell with the timing mark can rotate relative to the center as the rubber cushioning layer deteriorates, just a fun thing to watch out for) then the missing hole should be in the 'starter hole'. The flywheel only fits on in 8 discrete positions, so it's either in the whole there somewhere more or less, or it's way off somewhere else and wrong.

No clue on the flywheel thickness, I'd just assemble it out of the car and see how it fits before doing it underneath the car where it's hard to see what's going on. There is (IIRC) a spacer on automatic equipped B230's, along with that solid metal centering plug in place of the pilot bearing. A sort of 'cap' that fits over the end of the crank.

Back