• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 exhaust manifold flange studs

hessam69

Hi,

I'm working on a 240 with stripped exhaust manifold flange studs (3 of)

What's the best repair here? Remove stripped studs, order genuine studs, nuts and washers and install them or just use nuts and bolts from the hardware store? I believe they are M8 studs, can one just buy M8 bolts and use those?

Thank you

I would use oem studs, unless you like to drill out exhaust flange studs the next time you remove the exhaust manifold.
Hardware store studs are probably of lower quality (8.8 instead of 10.9 or 12.9) and more likely to snap off.

I used specific exhaust studs for any of mine that had broken. Not Volvo brand, but not bolts either.

If you put the copper antiseize or whatever on there you should be fine...

Had infinite problems with non-Volvo hardware on the 3-stud downpipe flange on our race car. Replaced with oem hardware, pow, done. It has been our experience that Volvo hardware is vastly superior to pretty much well, everything. When it's lived in New Hampshire for almost 30 years and still comes apart, that's all I need to know.

I wouldn't hesitate to use ARP Bolts products if they fit the application. Used them on the exhaust manifold-to-engine block about 10 years ago. You can actually speak to someone at the factory if you need to.

Lazarus

I'm trying the Belmetric stainless steel studs for the exhaust manifold to front pipe. Another member here suggested them for metric hardware. I think it's in the hardware thread. Will use the usual copper plated nuts and antiseize as well. That should take care of any further issues.

If you use stainless steel hardware, use plenty of copper grade anti-seize. Stainless on stainless will gaul up and seize the first time you try to take them apart. Stainless studs with copper nuts should be fine. Probably why Volvo used steel and copper nuts.

Back