• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kevin's 1990 745ti DD

My iPd Turbo Cam at +5* is OK, but still would prefer more low-end grunt.

Then again, I should probably fix up my tranny first too. :lol:

I have been bouncing back and fourth between IPD cam and the RSI stage 2 myself....I really like the low end grunt of the T-cam, but just wish it didn't die at like 4500. My RX-7 revs to the moon and makes power up there since this is my daily I'd prefer a more usable power band.

Well if you get the urge to fabricate, you can have those Audi seats for some consideration on that future graphics package we discussed.

That's where I'm at too. The power of the stg 2 cam +6? is from about 3k rpm til probably past redline. I'd like to find something that comes on a bit sooner but still pulls good until redline or at least almost redline. I've heard good things about the ipd cam for DD use, so if I come across one I'll probably give it a shot.

And I may take you up on a deal for those seats...I'll let you know.

Looks awesome, man!

Any intentions on painting the hood to match later on?

Thanks! A few of my friends have asked the same thing, and I'm definitely considering it.

That's where I'm at too. The power of the stg 2 cam +6? is from about 3k rpm til probably past redline. I'd like to find something that comes on a bit sooner but still pulls good until redline or at least almost redline. I've heard good things about the ipd cam for DD use, so if I come across one I'll probably give it a shot.

And I may take you up on a deal for those seats...I'll let you know.

Thanks! A few of my friends have asked the same thing, and I'm definitely considering it.

ipd cam is excellent, I run one straight up in my car. It probably doesn't pull as hard as the RSI cam but the power curve feels pretty flat and doesn't drop off at all

Get that shirty monster sticker off the dash bro.
Otherwise it's slick.

It's long since gone. And thanks!

ipd cam is excellent, I run one straight up in my car. It probably doesn't pull as hard as the RSI cam but the power curve feels pretty flat and doesn't drop off at all

Thanks for the info again Miguel. I'm definitely pretty set on giving one a try now.

Did some test fitting today. Sorry for the blurry pics, I guess I must have smudged the lens before I took them and I didn't realize they were blurry.

8E4C1343-E59C-48A5-8C2B-279B883A8AB4.jpg

3EA478BF-51A6-41DA-B213-5703095F16C5.jpg

E9043431-768A-4D6B-B8B2-6219D1A9C23E.jpg

I like the way they look, however I also gave these a test fit today:

9805A4B5-A93F-499D-AA25-240F0AD2CEA7.jpg

Before/after:
661579A9-87CD-458F-873D-3998F80E6177.jpg

AC5A4837-CA3F-442B-98F9-D8FA10317E27.jpg

140DF89B-E5DC-4527-9C0B-C9D3671CF670.jpg

C2C3BDB4-FFD0-4ED7-A526-F25D57ACBADC.jpg

I really like how these look too, they kind of add a whole new dimension to the car. Plus after looking at the before pics, it kind of makes me wonder why I never did this before. However, they'll need quite a bit of fender rolling so they don't rub. The fronts are super easy but I tried rolling the rears some more with a baseball bat today and I didn't really get anywhere, so I took them back off for the time being. A buddy of mine has access to a fender roller so I may give that route a shot. Also, if I end up selling the GTAs and the pair of adapters, I might use the money to finally get an adjustable panhard bar.

Nicely done. Fender rollers are definitely the way to go too; used one on my old 744T and it was a piece of cake.

Oh, and I still haven't done the rear hatch on mine yet. I bought a perfect black 960 rear hatch at iPd, got back home to Canada and promptly dropped it down the concrete stairs as I was heading into the door. :(

Yeah, I have to agree with Miguel , they do look nice, and those GTA's would require more than a little massaging to fit properly (assuming that's the minimum sized adapter you can ran to get the required clearance).

Your 745 looks totally sick. I think it's crazy awesome that you used a can of home depot paint on it! haha Did you prep the surface at all? How is it holding up?

Thanks for all the compliments guys! :)

Nicely done. Fender rollers are definitely the way to go too; used one on my old 744T and it was a piece of cake.

Oh, and I still haven't done the rear hatch on mine yet. I bought a perfect black 960 rear hatch at iPd, got back home to Canada and promptly dropped it down the concrete stairs as I was heading into the door. :(

Aw crap, that sucks :-( Mine is still sitting in the rear cargo area of my wagon with all my tools, I haven't had the time or motivation to get it done either. One of these days hopefully.

forget fender rollers! i used a 5 pound sledge hammer to do my old 740's rear fenders! looks awesome kevin

Good to know! The baseball bat method only did so much, and then all it was doing was flexing the tire inward. I tried with a rubber mallet but that didn't do anything really, so I may give this a try.

Yeah, I have to agree with Miguel , they do look nice, and those GTA's would require more than a little massaging to fit properly (assuming that's the minimum sized adapter you can ran to get the required clearance).

I mean I could get a smaller adapter than a 25mm, but then I'd have to trim my studs down significantly, and if I ever decide to switch wheels in the future I'd then have to replace those as well. Since I have the adapters for the Voxxes now, I figure I'll just get them working since it won't really cost me anything.

Your 745 looks totally sick. I think it's crazy awesome that you used a can of home depot paint on it! haha Did you prep the surface at all? How is it holding up?

Thanks! The only prep I did was take it to the local DIY carwash, scrub it down and pressure wash it pretty good. No sanding at all. Just taped it off and went to work with a roller. It's holding up quite well actually, although I did get hit with another car door in the parking lot the other day :grrr:

There's a pretty large meet coming up in Jacksonville in the beginning of August which I'm super stoked about, so I'm trying to get a few things done for it.

- Wheel adapters (roll fenders as mentioned before)
- Paint green on the bumpers to follow the SE or older 960 paint scheme
- Repaint hood, top and bottom side. May do the top green instead of black, but I think I'll wait until I get the bumpers painted to decide. Once those are done it might tie the black/green scheme together more.
- (Possibly) paint engine bay. I may pull things aside and go to work with some tape and newspaper to cover everything and then try to paint as much of the engine bay as I can. Most likely black.

Then of course just vacuum and all that typical pre-meet nonsense.

The fronts are 1 1/4 and the rears are 1 5/16. Essentially the same, it's realy a negligible difference. That's just how they were from the guy I got em from. The rear will actually stick out about 1/4" further once I get an adjustable panhard and get the rear axle centered. Right now it sticks out further on the passenger side.

4579A6C1-2F1F-48F0-90A4-253DF191C4E7.jpg

That chassis rigidity though.

Started to work on the fenders with a hammer today but it wasn't really going anywhere, so I broke out the angle grinder and had a much better outcome with it. I cut the lip off of the rear fenders which allowed me to flare/pull them out muuuch easier. I got it to where the rear passenger side is only rubbing over bumps now. It needs more work but I was running out of daylight so I'll finish doing them tomorrow and then paint over the exposed areas of metal. Here's a few pics:

2DBC2455-355A-4B4F-9343-5749F1A511F2.jpg

655F4DF5-5268-4066-A1E0-DB79371306E9.jpg

592F698B-66D2-42A0-BCF7-4915D3D19D43.jpg

08AEFCDD-4122-4ABA-BD4B-3A51F9562384.jpg

4EA52F70-437B-44CA-AAB5-4A1EC066B102.jpg

492DEC08-F76C-45E7-BF9C-F0F62031936C.jpg

63CC6726-C339-4180-B315-4B4706B85519.jpg

That is sick.

And how are you keeping the wheels so clean? Mine ain't staying quite so nice.

Thanks AJ. I love how it looks. The rubbing on the passenger rear is a bit worse than I thought (it's chewing the outside of the tire a bit) but thankfully I have tonight free so I'll get that taken care of after work. There's still plenty more the fender can be pulled and flared outward. It's just so damn hot!

And I honestly don't know lol. I was sure they'd be showing dirt and brake dust more with the finish not being perfectly smooth, but it's much better than I was hoping. I wipe them off occasionally, maybe once every couple weeks, but that's about it.

I still can't get over the paint job! How is that possible?! Explain :rofl:

Haha I'm not sure how to explain it really. I am yet to wash this car since painting it. The rain just washes all the dirt and grime away and doesn't leave any water marks to speak of. It's awesome.

I didn't put any clear coat on my wheels (as the Rustoleum clearly states not to do so), but I'm definitely getting quite a bit of dirt and brake dust on there and it's not really coming off. I've got new brakes now, so maybe that'll keep them less dirty now. :lol:

I glanced over the can of gold Rustoleum I had and didn't see anything advising against clearing (I probably just missed it) but I cleared anyway. I did the second coat of gold, let it just dry to the touch and then cleared right on top of it so it would cure together. Came out with a smooth, tough finish. Brake dust just wipes right off no questions asked.

5D27DD9E-DD7F-4999-AB6F-8F0665CDF810.jpg

A65EC144-F9A4-49D7-9962-BA949D27E2B4.jpg

Couple "during" pics. Cut some more metal out, pulled the crap out of the fenders and now the passenger side doesn't rub at all, the drivers side just barely taps over severe bumps or dips. It's not damaging the drivers side tire at all, so I can live with that for now.

Also another fun fact, as you can see in the pic above I damaged the paint along the edge of the fenders a bit. I wanted to fix them, so I took this opportunity to touch up the other scratches and dings in the paint, and also some small areas that I missed or that were thin from the initial painting. The color blended in perfectly and you can't even tell that anything happened. Good to know because of the impending bumper paint coming soon.

Which leads me to this question for those of you reading this. The bumpers will be painted with some green to mimic the SE/early 960 bumpers, so keep that in mind. Should I paint the hood green as well or repaint it black?

Back