• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 boxing plates and LCA poly bushings questions

ogamer777

New North Winchestersonville (PNW 425 gang)
For those of you who welded your boxing plates on your lower control arms and trailing arms, did you weld the plate entirely or just a few spots here and there?

Also for those of you who have used poly bushings for the lower control arm (the bigger one) did you use the oem rubber bushings sleeves or something else? They fit in there but are very loose and I can't imagine that's how they fit.

John Lane welded intermittently on the plates when boxing the front control arms.

The trailing arms have poly in the lower position and rubber at the body connection. The poly bushing sleeve is installed in the axle ears, not the standard rubber bushing sleeve, and welded in place. Go spherical if you can from what I hear and my experience with poly.

John Lane welded intermittently on the plates when boxing the front control arms.

The trailing arms have poly in the lower position and rubber at the body connection. The poly bushing sleeve is installed in the axle ears, not the standard rubber bushing sleeve, and welded in place. Go spherical if you can from what I hear and my experience with poly.

Thanks for your reply, but in regards to the bushing question, I was referring to the lower control arm (front) not the trailing arms (rear)

I believe with all the poly stuff, you need to use the old shell from the rubber bushings. Burn or cut them out and install the poly.

:nod: yes that is what I did for my front lower control arm bushings. I used a propane torch to heat up the sleeve until it started to “cook” the rubber. This broke to rubber bond to the metal and eventually the rubber bushing will be able to be pushed out.

Stitch weld the boxing plates.
For the poly, it depends. The only ones I’ve installed needed the steel shell pressed in. Did they come with a steel shell?

Thanks for your reply, but in regards to the bushing question, I was referring to the lower control arm (front) not the trailing arms (rear)

Scare up the spherical bushing like I showed you in the rallycar. It doesn't hang up with suspension loading like poly does. It gets welded to the housing. Easy. Works great.

Name of said outfit?

I think SAM carries the spherical rear control arm bushings. A friend just got a set, I'll ask them where they purchased them.
http://www.sambilmode.se/PRODUCTS.ASP?ID=1024&LANGUAGE=SV

M&M also make one, but it requires some modifications to make it work: https://www.motorsportshop.nu/epage...Path=/Shops/motorsportshop.nu/Products/100046

Here Ya go: http://www.kgtrimning.org/superpro-bussning/volvo/240260/

You need to keep the original sleeve.

Careful with the poly in the rear control arm position. I had to replace them after about 5-6 rallies because they were splitting, which leads to crazy toe-out under braking. Went back to cheap rubber ones the last go around and they've made it at least 10 rallies.

Last edited:
I think SAM carries the spherical rear control arm bushings. A friend just got a set, I'll ask them where they purchased them.
http://www.sambilmode.se/PRODUCTS.ASP?ID=1024&LANGUAGE=SV

M&M also make one, but it requires some modifications to make it work: https://www.motorsportshop.nu/epage...Path=/Shops/motorsportshop.nu/Products/100046

Careful with the poly in the rear control arm position. I had to replace them after about 5-6 rallies because they were splitting, which leads to crazy toe-out under braking. Went back to cheap rubber ones the last go around and they've made it at least 10 rallies.

Spherical for the front lower control arm right? I've got some spherical bushings for the axle ears already. Kaplhenke ones.

Re: splitting poly bushings, I have heard people leave the smaller bushings rubber. It is a little concerning. May just throw em in. It's not gonna be a rally car for a while.

The sphericals I linked to are for the front control arms, but the rear position.
I would leave the front-front bushings alone. They’re small enough that the deflection from them is much less than the front-rear control arm bushing.
The smaller bushings are a PITA to replace, and new Meyle control arms already come with them installed... so we just leave them in.

The sphericals I linked to are for the front control arms, but the rear position.
I would leave the front-front bushings alone. They?re small enough that the deflection from them is much less than the front-rear control arm bushing.
The smaller bushings are a PITA to replace, and new Meyle control arms already come with them installed... so we just leave them in.

All of the new arms I purchased didn't come with bushings at all. So may as well throw em in there.

Back