• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Annoying Bulb indicator light wont go away

HatredSerge

I have 3 persistant lights on in my 244:

Service - just changed my oil and it still comes on, Haynes manual showed me how to reset it, so doesn't bother me.

ABS - ABS Sensors are bunk, ABS non functional. I prefer it this way, Doesn't bother me (I'll probably just remove the ABS light bulb and be done with it)

Bulb-out indicator: All my bulbs are working, rear tails, center brake, reverse, headlights, turn signals, high beams, everything. Ive changed all bulbs since I got the car in March but this light wont go off! Could this be related to the infamous BULB INTEGRITY SENSOR I've heard so much about? Or could it be other electrical issues with the cluster or any of the light wiring at play? When an actual rear brake light was out, the warning light was flickering upon breaking, but staying on under normal driving otherwise. Since changing that bulb it has been staying on consistently, sometimes flickers at idle, but mostly stays on consistently. I figured there are TBers who've experienced this before.

I like the idea of it being functional so if a taillight/turn signal bulb or whatnot does go, I know instantly and I don't have to deal with Cops.

n00b question probably, I know. Insights always appreciated :)

The bulb failure relay could be faulty, but in all the years I have worked on these cars I have only seen 2 or 3 that were actually the problem. Most likely there is an issue with bulbs, a connection, or wiring in the vehicle. The best way I have found to track it down is an inductive amp meter, and a wiring diagram. Amperage should be pretty close to identical side to side for whichever circuit you are testing. Checking bulbs on each side to make sure they are the same type, and wattage would be a good place to start, especially if the issue started after a recent replacement. They can be tricky to get right, but it will be worth it when it is done.

I'm assuming this is happening when you have full lights on?

Wattage or candle power differences can affect this. I just had an issue with the light flickering for a second when applying the brakes. Dissimilar bulbs in the brake light sockets were causing the problem.

Service light started in 1989 with LH2.4. As did the check engine light.

Usually, if you can get the current balanced on the circuits from side to side as suggested. That takes care of the problem. Use some of the anti corrosion grease on there to help the good connections last longer.

Other members mentioned this and I will pass it along. instead of the 1157 bulbs where you need a dual filament. Use a 1034 or new number 7528. They are the correct wattage for our lights.

I used to get that one whenever my headlights were on.

Took in and out my indicator bulbs, and now its fixed.

Now it just flashes when I indicate left, apart from when I brake or go around a left hand corner...

The bulb out relay/module is complex, that we know. If it were me, I'd want to plug in a good working one first to see what happened, since they do fail and they do affect stuff that you wouldn't think of. If you are skilled at soldering, the BOS module probably can be fixed by resoldering.

ABS sensors are hardly useless. The 3-sensor system monitors front L+R plus a cog in the differential. Do you really want to disable the ABS system? Also, the sensors make the speedometer work, unless yours is mechanical. A wire on my rear sensor broke. ABS warning light on, no speedometer...straightforward fix.

Dave Barton's site has lots of info about the BOS and how to bypass it if desired. I did the bypass on mine in order to run LED turn signals and parking lamps.

Lazarus

^ I followed Dave Barton's recommendation of bypassing the relay. On my car, no matter how many bulbs I purchased/swapped, the idiot light would come on sporadically.

Sounds stupid but try reseating the bulbs. I know I turned my brake bulb just a couple degrees to far and spent way too long with my nose in the green book.

I have a NIB bulb failure relay if you want one. The red one for later cars, KAE brand, part number 3802300. PM me if interested, I'll sell for $50 shipped.

Back