• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Engine dies intermittently after running the gas low...coincidence?

tshawytscha

Car: 89 740T

Car had been running well until I ran the gas tank to near empty (she took 13.8 gallons when I filled up). This coincided with beginning of new issue for this vehicle. Now the car will start just fine but then it may or may not suddenly die. This will happen while driving down the highway as well as at idle. It seems to be worse when the car is stopped on an incline (had a bitch of time getting up a crowded off ramp the other day). Did I jack up my fuel system by running the tank down so low or could this be another issue that just happened to coincide with nearly running out of gas? If it's a fuel issue what would be the first part to diagnose/replace? Fuel filter? Is there an easy test to do with few tools and apartment living? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the in-tank lift pump is not working. With the tank above half full the pressure pump can usually suck enough gas without it but low or on an incline as you describe it works or doesn't in unusual ways.

Replacing it is not particularly difficult. Need to access the big tank port on the top of the tank, with a hammer and a stout piece of metal carefully drive the lock ring around until loose and there it is.

Here is a link to more than you would ever want to know about the lift pump with purtty pictures.

http://cleanflametrap.com/transferPump.htm

Last edited:
Back