• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 outdoor car cover recommendations?

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
I need an outdoor cover for my '78 242 while I have it at the shop, not enough room to keep it inside. Anyone know of a good fitting cover?

Cool, thanks! They only have a sedan option but that is probably as good as it gets, want but don't need the Nomex option haha. 10% of atm, might grab it tonight.

The 242 is a sedan - it’s a 2-door sedan that shares the roofline, rear window, trunk dimensions etc with the 244. So a 244 cover is a 242 cover, conveniently! :-P

Haha, got it. The Volvo dimensions are hard to eyeball. The one that really surprised me was when I took the 740 wagon out of the garage, put the 242 in and found out the 242 is about 3 or 4 inches longer!

It's longer due to commandos.

I use the multi layer poly something ones. They last about three years or so and then the sun kills them. I buy the generic size ones. The key is to use a cover one size larger than the one the company recommends.

Ya, was still surprising to have less room! The cover I got is custom made for the 240 so hopefully it fits well. I don't like them loose, if the car has any dirt on it, it rubs in the wind and scratches the paint. Not that my paint is that great but it is shiny haha.

If you got the Stormproof cover, then yes, it fits very well. The elastic band around the bottom hugs nicely under the buttcheeks :-D and the general cut of its jib is quite tidy. I've been super happy with mine. It's dumb to be excited about a car cover but it's protecting my car from roasting in UV every day, so I am.

Awesome, I bought the Stormproof one. Glad to hear the buttcheeks will be hugged, they deserve some love lol. I get it, I'm excited to get it here, nerdy, probably, so what, haha. I ordered it in the lightest color to attempt to deflect some heat off also.

Back