• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 740 Questions

Makes no Sensei

Have some questions but will preface with some background:

I have an '89 744Ti, 125k, garaged everyday since new, never eaten in, black bumpers, no warped trim, shiny original paint, no faded anything, no damaged/marked/scratched leather, no stains anywhere including trunk, no rust or dirt in any nook or cranny, spare never down. Every type of maintenance performed on time and without question. Drives like a much younger car, with the quietest red block engine I've ever heard. Got it somewhere around 6-7 years ago and has been mostly in storage since then. My '94 944T with 109k was totaled recently as I was T boned on the drivers side by a left turn driver (F150) that ignored a red light, never hit the brakes, punched in the whole side of the car and blew the bags, I drove it home anyway, dove flawlessly too. Been paid off and bought the car back.

Plans: to put entire '94 940 suspension in as it has new koni gas adjust, front and rear, new ball joints, larger front brakes, new pads+shoes and rotors front and rear. Have parts to update to LH2.4. Eventually the 940 radiator, intercooler and condenser. 940 dash and hvac, 960 sunroof and headliner (not sure if 960 headliner will fit). Possible 960 seats front and rear assuming I can find some that are mint, I know the rear is too tall but can be accommodated. And then by some miracle I want to have headlights that perform like those in the '19 Corrolla rental I've been driving.

A so now I have a few questions:
(Will edit this to add more questions if I forgot something, right now it's 14, most are maintenance but some are performance) Edit: Sorry messed up the question numbering, so reused 7 & 8, changed them to 7a, 8a, 7b, 8b, using plastic tie straps where necessary. 16 Questions now.

1) Is the tank pump hose the same as for 94 940?
740 tank pump can be heard but main pump screams loud enough to be heard on mars. Car has very good power for 100% stock, so issue doesn't seem to affect fuel delivery. The '94 had a new tank pump, hose and sock installed recently, so could move it over.

2) Do the pumps prime when you turn on the key with LH2.2? I've never heard them even once do this, yet the car starts immediately, with no stumble. Relay is brand new.

3) Is there a vent hose for the fuel tank that can cause a stink like old rotten fuel in the trunk?

4) Is the tone ring/wheel the same as in the '94 940?

5) Any articles on updating to LH2.4?

6) Any articles on modifying or updating the dome light?
Thought about making flat plate, bending down one end, then attach to that something LED, then install something in/on sun roof cover.

7a) Anyone done an LED update to the front turn signals.

8a) Is there a dual contact socket compatible with the front corner lights? What in the world were they thinking with that goofy single contact socket while forcing you to use a dual filament lamp?

7b) Suggestion for spacers to use with Conisto wheels? Sizes, brand and or sources?

8b) Anyone know if the SRS can be update to the 940 type? The 740's system will respond to code reading (2) and to reset, but the light always comes back on with same code set. Have also a '93 940 parts car with intact system, as well as another spare air bag from an '94. If needed I may be able to acquire the proper 740 crash sensor too.

9) Did all 940 year models have the explosive seat belts? I'd like to avoid them if updating the SRS.

10) Any articles on updating to the newer dash?

11) Is there anywhere I can still get 760 tail lights, I'd need all the parts required for an upgrade.

12) Anyone have a PDF green book of the hvac, I
IRC I think I've seen a printed one that covered both models ('89 740+'93-94 940) And or a PDF green book wiring diagram for the '89? I have an '88 pdf, which I guess is the same.

13) Would adding oil squirters to the '89 engine require machining?

14) Are there any 4 hole injectors that would drop in, using an 940 rail, and be good to go with LH2.4, 4 bar FPR, 025 MAF (where bosch reman changed the # to 114), and updated chips? Have access to vast ocean of FWD parts cars, though not many 850s, hope is I might find what I need there.

Last edited:
Edit: mostly disregard my post to #1. 95 only used the single pump. The wiring is still different.

Lets see...
Have some questions but will preface with some background:

I have an '89 744Ti, 125k, garaged everyday since new, never eaten in, black bumpers, no warped trim, shiny original paint, no faded anything, no damaged/marked/scratched leather, no stains anywhere including trunk, no rust or dirt in any nook or cranny, spare never down. Every type of maintenance performed on time and without question. Drives like a much younger car, with the quietest red block engine I've ever heard. Got it somewhere around 6-7 years ago and has been mostly in storage since then. My '94 944T with 109k was totaled recently as I was T boned on the drivers side by a left turn driver (F150) that ignored a red light, never hit the brakes, punched in the whole side of the car and blew the bags, I drove it home anyway, dove flawlessly too. Been paid off and bought the car back.

Plans: to put entire '94 940 suspension in as it has new koni gas adjust, front and rear, new ball joints, larger front brakes, new pads+shoes and rotors front and rear. Have parts to update to LH2.4. Eventually the 940 radiator, intercooler and condenser. 940 dash and hvac, 960 sunroof and headliner (not sure if 960 headliner will fit). Possible 960 seats front and rear assuming I can find some that are mint, I know the rear is too tall but can be accommodated. And then by some miracle I want to have headlights that perform like those in the '19 Corrolla rental I've been driving.

A so now I have a few questions:
(Will edit this to add more questions if I forgot something, right now it's 14, most are maintenance but some are performance)

1) Is the tank pump hose the same as for 94 940?
740 tank pump can be heard but main pump screams loud enough to be heard on mars. Car has very good power for 100% stock, so issue doesn't seem to affect fuel delivery. The '94 had a new tank pump, hose and sock installed recently, so could move it over.
No, the 94-95 940's use a single pump in tank, while previous 7/9's have 2 pumps. The sending unit is wired differently as well.
2) Do the pumps prime when you turn on the key with LH2.2? I've never heard them even once do this, yet the car starts immediately, with no stumble. Relay is brand new.

3) Is there a vent hose for the fuel tank that can cause a stink like old rotten fuel in the trunk?
There shouldn't be any vent. The hoses from/to the fuel tank go to the fuel rail or charcoal canister.
4) Is the tone ring/wheel the same as in the '94 940?
All LH2.4 have the same tone wheel. Not compatible with LH2.2
5) Any articles on updating to LH2.4?
You'd be better off swapping the entire harness, sensors, and computers.
6) Any articles on modifying or updating the dome light?
Thought about making flat plate, bending down one end, then attach to that something LED, then install something in/on sun roof cover.
This would be pretty straight forward after reading the wiring diagram. The dome lights are either switched on the ground side or switched on the power side.
7) Anyone done an LED update to the front turn signals.
There are direct socket replacement LED bulbs that just fit in the sockets.
8) Is there a dual contact socket compatible with the front corner lights? What in the world were they thinking with that goofy single contact socket while forcing you to use a dual filament lamp?
Not easily.
7) Suggestion for spacers to use with Conisto wheels? Sizes, brand and or sources?
I'm personally against spacers. They change the load dynamics on the bearings and hubs.
8) Anyone know if the SRS can be update to the 940 type? The 740's system will respond to code reading (2) and to reset, but the light always comes back on with same code set. Have also a '93 940 parts car with intact system, as well as another spare air bag from an '94. If needed I may be able to acquire the proper 740 crash sensor too.
My best advise is to LEAVE IT ALONE. There's a lot of what-ifs that could go wrong.
9) Did all 940 year models have the explosive seat belts? I'd like to avoid them if updating the SRS.
Only some had it.
10) Any articles on updating to the newer dash?
I haven't run across any. You probably would have to weld in new anchor points to the firewall. Probably not worth it.
11) Is there anywhere I can still get 760 tail lights, I'd need all the parts required for an upgrade.
These have been somewhat of a ghost. Wagon lights and 940 tails are still available IIRC, but the 740/760 sedan tail lights are NLA.
12) Anyone have a PDF green book of the hvac, I
IRC I think I've seen a printed one that covered both models ('89 740+'93-94 940) And or a PDF green book wiring diagram for the '89? I have an '88 pdf, which I guess is the same.
https://ozvolvo.org/archive/archive.php
13) Would adding oil squirters to the '89 engine require machining?
Oh yeah. Drilling/machining and tapping.
14) Are there any 4 hole injectors that would drop in, using an 940 rail, and be good to go with LH2.4, 4 bar FPR, 025 MAF (where bosch reman changed the # to 114), and updated chips? Have access to vast ocean of FWD parts cars, though not many 850s, hope is I might find what I need there.
Not really. The lh2.4 turbo cars used the injector resisters that would interfere with standard injectors. ON my NA 2.4 car that I turbo'd, I used 850 turbo injectors.

Last edited:
"Leave it stock" wait, *checks to see if url is correct......well....it does say turbobricks up there, hmmm.

The car is great to drive as is, much like that 2019 Corolla, however neither of them can put a big fat smile on my face like my 940 did with 18 PSI, sticky tires and koni shocks passing an 18 wheeler on a two lane highway like it was standing still. So yeah, I'm not really into boring cars as otherwise I'd be driving FWD. I see this car as something for me to enjoy, I've never thought of any car I've ever owned as something I would sell later on. And I don't mind leaving it looking stock, but after many years of driving modified 940s, I have to say it would be a crime against this 740 not to make it the best it can be. It's age should be irrelevant, my 940 was only 5 years newer and extremely reliable, hence the main reason I've not been on this board in something like 4 years; can't see how being 5 years older is somehow more troublesome, especially if the parts I'm fitting are 5 years, or more, newer. For me the concept of preserving it as is....simply makes no sensei. I've a ton of really great parts just sitting around, what am I to do with those? No, I have a vision for what I want out of my cars, I want something that speaks to me: Hey come and drive me!, and I don't want to have to answer, oh eh, do I have to?

As for posting pix I'll have to see what I can do.

The #1 question is the most time sensitive one I have as I'll be trying to fix that issue on this next Saturday, and hoping I wont have to buy (as in order on line) a special hose as it might not get here in time. As for a single pump system, only the '95 940T (in USA) came with that (IINM the regina cars had only one in the tank?), I've had 3x 94' 944Ts and all had two pumps. Also only the 95 had the change in the fuel gauge, and IIRC I think it was something like the reverse/opposite signal, and IIRC it had a change in the sending unit too *shrug*.

Thank you Redwood Chair for #13, that's what I thought, so will likely just go without and if it blows up, well I've got three additional '92+ engines to work with.

MisterThou, thank you also for taking the time to respond; and regarding that, to specifically reply back:
#3) I thought there may be a hose that ran from the tank to the fuel filler tube to vent during fill up, that's the hose I was wondering if anyone had to deal with that before. I've not had much experience with the 740 model.

#4) So I assume from your answer that they are not the same. So my plan will be to do the axle swap along with the LH2.4 swap and possibly the dash swap all at the same time.

#5) I do have all of the parts including an entire complete wiring harness that I've already removed from one of my prior '94 940s. I seem to recall reading a thread here where someone had done it without that, and so I was wondering if someone had written that up as I'd like to try to do this more quickly than just replacing the entire harness, which I would likely do later on down the road, like when I'm ready to repaint the engine compartment.

#6) The wiring is not the issue, it's the lack of plastic legs/clips holding it into the roof, thus it falls down all the time, and rather than squirrel around and try to fix the existing unit, which has multiple potential continuous on going plastic failure points, I was hoping to hear if by this point (read The Year 2 0 1 9) that someone had done something clever to make there own, and thus I'm hoping to hear about it.

#7a) I recall again reading something on this site years ago where someone had lit the entire width of the strip below the headlight (aka the turn signal light) from inside with LEDs, and was hoping maybe if anyone else had done so, perhaps I could learn how it all went.

#8b) Car is basically the same except the rear structure, surely it's doable, and really has nobody done this? I mean good luck figuring which is which: a 945 sitting next to a 745 of the last year for the 745 without looking at the back door, they have the same dash.

#10) Over the years I've seen many threads where this exact swap has been done, don't recall any need for welding, but was just wondering if anyone had made up an article or thread on this. And yeah I know I could search, but just wanted to see if anyone knew of one existing.

#14) I also recall reading a discussion on this site where they had swapped in 4 hole injectors, and if needed the resistor pack could be easily bypassed, and I do know there are drop in single hole injectors that will work (perhaps bypassing the resistor pack), that should be common knowledge on this board, but just wondering if anyone already knew what I should be looking for and if there is a 4 hole with similar specs.

I probably should port some of these questions to the performance forum.

Last edited:
Oh god I just realized I reused #7 and #8, so two questions for each number, that's confusing, sorry about that, I guess I re-number them 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, I don't know, sorry, sorry sorry! Shouldn't post late at night after tough shifts at work.

And also should probably mention that this post
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5927957&postcount=8
was partially aimed at a comment by S70T5fivespeed, which was later edited to say something else. Otherwise would not have blathered on like that. Been away too long I guess, or did I come back too soon? Never mind.

Last edited:
#6:
There's an article on BB to upgrade the dome light to LED: https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo/1552220/940/960/980/V90/S90/diy_led_dome_light_upgrade.html

#14:
On my 940T, I am using "4-hole" V70 injectors because two of the stock greentops were leaking and I had those around. As you've written, only thing I had to do was bypass the resistor pack, which is like a 10 minute deal. Otherwise they are drop in, at least on my 97 940 LH2.4 (not sure if the rail or something else is different for LH 2.2)
On my B230FT, stocks are 0-280-150-804 (337ccm @ 3bar) and I am using 0-280-155-766 (350ccm @ 3bar).
Here's a helpful table to find some suitable injectors: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

Only question no one seemed to answer:

Nope, LH2.2 AFAIK doesn't run the fuel pump until the ECU detects that the engine has started turning. There is a check valve on the pump to retain fuel pressure.

Sounds like what you are planning is a lot of unnecessary work. Just drive it. The 740 sounds sweet.

Only question no one seemed to answer:

Nope, LH2.2 AFAIK doesn't run the fuel pump until the ECU detects that the engine has started turning. There is a check valve on the pump to retain fuel pressure.

Sounds like what you are planning is a lot of unnecessary work. Just drive it. The 740 sounds sweet.

I can second this ^^ Got my 88 744t in the garage right now, ECU doesn't prime the pumps with the key.

#1) According to FCPeuro the hose is the same.

Hose was the same but the used 940 hose was rock hard, the 740 hose was soft but failing at the clamps, though not leaking. So just used some 5/16 fuel injection hose, a pump from a 940 w/71k miles and a new sock.

740's in-tank pump, sock (broken off) and hose were bad, and so was the ground wire that runs between the pump motor and the top of the sensor; appeared normal but had corroded internally to the point where it no longer functioned. Always best to bench test before reinstalling the sending unit.

Hose was the same but the used 940 hose was rock hard, the 740 hose was soft but failing at the clamps, though not leaking. So just used some 5/16 fuel injection hose, a pump from a 940 w/71k miles and a new sock.
I hope you used a piece of "Submersible" fuel hose. (Gates version.) Regular fuel hose is fine for external use, but it's not designed for in-tank use where it will be continually submerged in fuel. The outside layers with quickly turn to mush, and the hose will fail.

I hope you used a piece of "Submersible" fuel hose. (Gates version.) Regular fuel hose is fine for external use, but it's not designed for in-tank use where it will be continually submerged in fuel. The outside layers with quickly turn to mush, and the hose will fail.

This is an absolute must -- I'd replaced the in-tank pump on my 744 a few years ago; When I opened up the tank there was a non-submersible hose in there, it was gross / gummy and had stretched or changed length and curled up some.

Back