• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

lookin for a manny tranny

nickvolvo746

Can anybody tell me what manual transmissions will work in a 1990 760 turbo wagon? lh2.3

-edited-

Lookin for something that can stand up to a 16g Mitsu Turbski. Ive heard m90s are pretty strong, whats everybody think?

Last edited:
Anything can fit... With some work.

You'll have to be more specific on what you want to achieve. You want to install an OEM Volvo manual tranny or something stronger?

Too right you are. I am lookin to upgrade the turbo to a 16g mitsu turbo and I definitely want to smoke kids in GTIs and WRXs (ie, ripping on it almost every time I drive since there are lots of those in my area), so I am thinkin I need something stronger than a oem tranny but Ive heard the m90s from 940s/60s are solid. what do you think? I am very much a noooooob by the way but hey gotta learn somehow

Too right you are. I am lookin to upgrade the turbo to a 16g mitsu turbo and I definitely want to smoke kids in GTIs and WRXs (ie, ripping on it almost every time I drive since there are lots of those in my area), so I am thinkin I need something stronger than a oem tranny but Ive heard the m90s from 940s/60s are solid. what do you think? I am very much a noooooob by the way but hey gotta learn somehow

Is your car an automatic right now? If so, you may be better served sticking with the AW71- Kenny here put down some serious power with one. Look up the AW71 accumulator mod.

Also, if you're serious about "smoking" kids in those cars, you're going to want something bigger than a 16t. I'd go with a Holset, but that's because "overkill is consistently more fun" and if you're going to drag race with punks, you may as well be able to do rolling burnouts in 2nd gear. A 19t or 13t converted to a 19t may be enough as well. Then again, Kenny made stupid power on a 16t.

Talk to TheLostartOf about a set of LH2.4 chips for your car.

M90 was in Europe only- we never got manual 940's (only manual 7xx's). If you're serious about making power, you can. It just costs money.

It is an AW71 already, I just miss having a clutch and shifter, but maybe I should just save myself all the hassle and drive it autotragic and save the manny tranny for a future project. Is that accumulator mod also known as "pinning" it? My other volvo (740 turbo with a 16g, AW71L) is currently set up like that and its tranny is still fine(i think..). Thanks again for all the advice. Cant wait to be done with school so I can start fu**ing my car up

also, if youre thinking a 16g ('big') from a mitsu evo wont be quite up to snuff, would that still be your thinkin if I also put the good ipd cam shaft in there?

It is an AW71 already, I just miss having a clutch and shifter, but maybe I should just save myself all the hassle and drive it autotragic and save the manny tranny for a future project. Is that accumulator mod also known as "pinning" it? My other volvo (740 turbo with a 16g, AW71L) is currently set up like that and its tranny is still fine(i think..). Thanks again for all the advice. Cant wait to be done with school so I can start fu**ing my car up

Yes- basically, the accumulator mod shims the accumulators so you have almost full line pressure shifts all the time. This gives a more positive shift and reduces wear on the clutches. I understand the want of 3 pedals- I sold my 745ti to get an m46 244 last year (which I promptly sold becasue it was junk).

also, if youre thinking a 16g ('big') from a mitsu evo wont be quite up to snuff, would that still be your thinkin if I also put the good ipd cam shaft in there?

The iPD cam will more improve the overall powerband (won't die off at 5500 RPM). The big turbo with a good intercooler (read cheap ebay shet) will make more boost.

If you do want an M90 I think there is one for sale in for sale. But if you are drag racing. Then the auto is the deal. If it was me I'd do the M90 but then I'm more of a road course fan.

Back