• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Charging problem

Drive it as is?

• Yes--if you break down your wife won't mind driving out with the kids at 11pm.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No--Drive your 1970 145 nomad that has fresh paint and has not been washed or waxed yet.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

apologetik

This should have been in off topic. Mods feel free to move.

So, I noticed that the voltage gauge (VDO) on the car was running low on my way home from work last night so I decided to check out everything today with a meter.

The battery and the alternator are both measuring close (within spec) to the same output--12.6volts.

My question is would you drive the car to work and back (140 miles, half day/ half night), before you changed out the alternator?

With my lights, stereo, and flashers on the voltage drops to 11.8-12.3 volts, measured at the gauge this time.

By the way this is an 80amp Denso alternator that I bought used off of the list and just installed two months ago when the old alternator died.

Joel
85 244Tic.

Last edited:
Make sure you check all the grounds+connections carefully before you go and change out the alternator. The little ground wire on my alt comes loose every once in a while...

No I don't think you can make it 140 miles. Your car probably draws at least 30-40 amps with the lights on. Your battery is what like 80AH? After an hour of driving on the battery alone I think things will start to get flaky. Very dicey. Can you charge the battery at work?

James

Make sure you check all the grounds+connections carefully before you go and change out the alternator. The little ground wire on my alt comes loose every once in a while..

James

+1. I had this exact same thing happen to me once. Battery never went dead, because it got some charge, but was always low (at around 12.3 volts). Turned out when I pulled the alternator that the ground wire had come loose. Tightened it up, all was well.

As far as driving it 140 miles, here is one of those times that a battery booster pack is invaluable. If anything happens, use it to start the car, then use the male-male cigarette lighter "charger" to keep the car running until you can make it home.

i had the same problem and the wiring was the problem i had to run new wires from the altenator both pos+ and neg-

Measure with your meter, negative lead to alt. case and positive lead to the large output post. It should be 14+ volts with a Denso, with lights on and fan on high.

Is the meter accurate?

Back