• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Myles' '79 242 __ Honey Dijon __ dRoPp It LIkKe iT's HaWwT; Den ?r het!

The Problem Solver!

photo.JPG

If any of you have played with a eBay 16vT manifold, you'll know there is NO clearance between manifold and water pump...

DSCF7292.JPG

I thought up an idea like this, but SleepySOHC beat me to execution. Brand new HEPU, modded for the eBay 16vT manifold!

I'll bolt it in soon, and hopefully finish this car before I die.

I did a test fit of my ebay header last night - same problem.

Did you consider shortening the outlet and using a tight 90* bend? It looks like that might work, and it's essentially the same as you did except aluminum doesn't melt. Then again...you can boil water in a paper cup over a fire.

It's about time to hunker down and wrap this build up...

Today, I picked up the 242 from my friend's exhaust shop...his work on the exhaust, intake and seat brackets were a huge help...and the ability to store it there, while I've been waiting for my life to settle down has been invaluable.

It's safe and sound, on MY lift, in MY shop, where I can actually get some work done!

Stay tuned...I think we're soon to see the progress we've all been waiting for.

Did you figure out the Throttle linkage yet? When I went to the vertical setup I made a custom line using a bicycle brake cable and bits from a stock one.

Finally getting some work done!

photo%25203.JPG

Had some time in the shop today...it's never enough, but it is something.
Best news is that I figured out my throttle cable riddle....I swapped in a Known LH2.2 throttle cable, and problem solved....whatever was in there, was not a OE LH2.2 cable and that's why it didn't fit. Glad it was that simple.

Wasted no time, and got the old water pump out...cleaned up my surfaces and installed my BRAND NEW HEPU, that's been modified by SleepySOHC, for the eBay 16v Turbo manifold...NICE PIECE and a Real Problem Solver!

photo%25202.JPG

I wired up my Main Fuel PUMPS...
Bosch 959's from a Mercedes-Benz...

photo%25201.JPG

She is coming together...I've just got to keep at it...but that should be easier now. The lift and location make it a lot more convenient.

I can't believe I haven't updated y'all since July...

About a month ago, I completed assembly on the 242. Simple riddles kept it apart, like fuel lines and compatibility with the MBZ Dual-Stage Fuel pumps & a filter. I solved my throttle cable riddle, by sourcing the correct cable...what I had before was, in fact, NOT a B230/240 cable. A little patience and the car was assembled, and filled with fluids. I attempted to start it, however I ran into come complications with my MS setup....I clearly had it wired improperly; it wouldn't trigger the fuel pumps and my No-Spark clearly indicated that I had not found the correct pins for my Wasted Spark outputs.

I figured that my home driveway would be a more peaceful setting for this kind of work, so I transported it home. A fridge full of cold beer, no distractions from my staff & work, and a quiet, sunny setting sounded best for diagnosing my EMS. I gave it about two weeks, working on it off and on, and even solicited the help of a friend with a little bit of experience in the world of MS, and we weren't making the progress I desired.

I got pretty fed up with it, and lost interest and desire to own and maintain such a EMS, so I pulled it out. NO MORE MS!!! With a little thought and consideration, I've decided on running LH2.4, modded for Wasted Spark and, eventually, a pair of chips, tuned for a 16vT. It's got better documentation, resources, and something I'm a lot more comfortable using and maintaining.

A trip to the JY and some hunting on TB & eBay, and everything seemed to come together. I found a beautiful harness out of a 240, which I modded for my engine bay configuration, trimmed the fat, rerouted the diagnostics port to the glove box, ran my Wasted Spark wires, rewrapped and installed. A simple 2.75" to 2.5" 45-degree, silicone elbow helped plumb the AMM, with the eBay manifold and cone filter....it's a better fit than I had before, actually! I got a plug to seal up the bung from the IAT sensor. Found a nice, matched pair of computers on eBay...a GOLD EZK! All I'm waiting on now is my Buchka Spark board....patiently waiting for it's arrival for completion.

Here's how it looks now....actually LOOKS like a complete, running car's engine bay...

IMG_3537.JPG

The switch went pretty darn smooth...just added a knock sensor and modded the 960 TB to accommodate a LH2.4 Throttle Position Switch. I still need to source a o2 sensor and weld in a bung in my exhaust for it....no big deal. I can get it running without and add it in short while. I'm a lot more confident with this new setup, and really glad I made the switch.

IMG_3538.JPG

In the mean time, I've worked to setup my MBC, and route my vacuum lines in a very sterile fashion. I didn't like how the M3 wheels were fitting...the adapters were too narrow, so I ordered up a wider pair for the rear, and moved the old rear adapters to the front. Previously, the insides of the wheels/tires were just too close to the suspension & body for my comfort, so I spaced 'em out just a bit....Looks good now.

Once the Wasted Spark Board arrives, I'll get it together and give starting my engine another go.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
So since you gave up on MS, what's happening to the ECU?

MS setup has sold & shipped to a new enthusiast.

I've gone the way of LH2.4/EZK116....setup for Wasted-Spark, via Buchka Spark Board

I built a custom harness, that's up to my standards, with rerouted injector leads, tucked Fused (+) lead, diagnostics connector hidden under dash, and all the Turbo Specific mods.

ECU and ICU are in the car...just waiting on a Buchka Board, to make the mod in the GOLD EZK box.

But will be shortly. So no excuses now.

:oogle: Thanks bud; you're my new Hero!

Back