• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Fuel Gage Repair

coalminer

After testing the circuit from the tank sender to the gage more than once, pulling the instrument panel more than twice to re-solder the joints that I thought had to do with the fuel gage.....and having no more than erratic success....finally leading to no success....

I finally took the advice of knowledgeable people on this forum and Brickboard and re-flowed ALL of the solder joints on the instrument panel circuit board.

Success!

There must be more than 20 soldered joints on the rear of that flexible board, and I hit them all with a hot soldering iron. I finally got the right one, although I still don't know which one it was causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

There must be more than 20 soldered joints on the rear of that flexible board, and I hit them all with a hot soldering iron. I finally got the right one, although I still don't know which one it was causing the problem.

Too much mystery and magic for me. I think I'll avoid the 9 series altogether. :-D

After testing the circuit from the tank sender to the gage more than once, pulling the instrument panel more than twice to re-solder the joints that I thought had to do with the fuel gage.....and having no more than erratic success....finally leading to no success....

I finally took the advice of knowledgeable people on this forum and Brickboard and re-flowed ALL of the solder joints on the instrument panel circuit board.

Success!

Hope this helps.

Too much mystery and magic for me. I think I'll avoid the 9 series altogether. :-D

So, just keep in mind that if it's a '93 or newer, your in-tank pump has a fuel sender that likes to corrode from E10 fuel exposure. So if your gauge starts acting up sporadically, there's your next fix point. Someone (IPD? FCP?) has developed a kit that replaces the fuel sender.

Originally Posted by cleanflametrap
"Too much mystery and magic for me. I think I'll avoid the 9 series altogether".

Really, the 940 is comparable to the 240.
I'm talking about a 940 without multi-link rear suspension.

Basically they are very similiar to the 240 series, other than front brakes and wheel bearing.

The engine (B230), injection system (LH2.4), ignition system and transmission (AW70/71) are the same as the 240, except for a few twists that are not hard to discover.

Same fuel system....pumps and pressure regulator.....different relay set-up.

More room in interior, but the body in general doesn't seem to me to be as "built like a brick" as the 240.

I've owned (and still own) 2.
A 92 model 940 with Rex/Regina and a 94 model as I described above.

All in all, a good ride.
It takes a little getting used to if you're changing from a 240.

Since I owned my first volvo (61 Model 122s), I have changed models several times.
61 Model 544, 68 Model 142, 72 Model 144, 74 Model 144, 76 Model 242, 1981 Model 242, 85 Model 245, 86 Model 240, 87 Model 240, 87 Model 745 diesel, 91 Model 240, 92 Model 240, 92 Model 940 and another 94 Model 940. All Red Block Engines, except the Diesel Wagon, it had a VW engine in it. I'm sure that I probably forgot some.

As you can see, I've changed Models several times. The 240 series is still my favorite, but as I said, the 940 is a good car too, and is sure to please a old Volvo owner.

Plus, the 940 has one added benefit.
It doesn't take all day to change out the blower motor.

Last edited:
Yes, yes. I'm not totally unfamiliar. MIL had one in my care for a few years. I've seen the good and the bad as compared with the 240, and I know many of us have them because the supply of decent 2-series seems to dwindle, and what other option is there RWD Volvo. Sorta looks like a Buick Century doesn't it. :-P

Originally Posted by cleanflametrap
"Too much mystery and magic for me. I think I'll avoid the 9 series altogether".

I'm talking about a 940 without multi-link rear suspension.

Basically they are very similiar to the 240 series, other than front brakes and wheel bearing.

The engine (B230), injection system (LH2.4), ignition system and transmission (AW70/71) are the same as the 240, except for a few twists that are not hard to discover.

Same fuel system....pumps and pressure regulator.....different relay set-up.

More room in interior, but the body in general doesn't seem to me to be as "built like a brick" as the 240.

I've owned (and still own) 2.
A 92 model 940 with Rex/Regina and a 94 model as I described above.

All in all, a good ride.
It takes a little getting used to if you're changing from a 240.

Since I owned my first volvo (61 Model 122s), I have changed models several times.
61 Model 544, 68 Model 142, 72 Model 144, 74 Model 144, 76 Model 242, 1981 Model 242, 85 Model 245, 86 Model 240, 87 Model 240, 87 Model 745 diesel, 91 Model 240, 92 Model 240, 92 Model 940 and another 94 Model 940. All Red Block Engines, except the Diesel Wagon, it had a VW engine in it. I'm sure that I probably forgot some.

As you can see, I've changed Models several times. The 240 series is still my favorite, but as I said, the 940 is a good car too, and is sure to please a old Volvo owner.

Plus, the 940 has one added benefit.
It doesn't take all day to change out the blower motor.

940 GREAT car I agree 100% BUT compare to 240 series electrical system mostly layout SUCK THE BIG ONE
Everything on car bitch to get access to not quite so bad on 240 When fuse and relay box get stuffed behind ash tray I said kiss my ass! ; - )
I rather break down on road side with electrical problem in 240 than 940!
But you are correct 940 wonderful machine! I NEVER let mine go! One of last great RWD ; - (
Jimmy Earl

PS you right about blower motor but can do about 3 hours if know trick and do a few not so bad

Back