• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whiteblock POWER!

a lot of wrong info in this thread. I dont have much time to type it all up right now

vvt is for economy not like Vtech for power
you dont need to do anything with it... sure you can get the fancy $50 delete plate or just leave it on. like i did on my 2004 whiteblock RN swapped 850

2002 or 03 engines are the RN blocks - stronger internals, higher flowing head.

search volvo 850 RN swap, you will find really good write up - easy to adopt the 850 dizzy and the manual throttle body ( **** just bolts up)

And when you go looking for that 960 for the bellhousing, remember that you'll need a bunch of other stuff from the 960 for the swap.

Oil pan, oil pickup, dipstick, oil filter housing, coolant tube, maybe motor mounts, and maybe some accesory drive stuff. Depending on what you want or what you can fab up.

Also if you are using megasquirt, the coil-on-plugs from the 960 are 2 pin jobbers and work better for you with external ignitors. You could also grab the 960 throttle body and cable spool. Its bigger than what came of the t5 and is cable actuated already.

a lot of wrong info in this thread. I dont have much time to type it all up right now

you dont need to do anything with it... sure you can get the fancy $50 delete plate or just leave it on. like i did on my 2004 whiteblock RN swapped 850

Volvo may not have tuned VVT for performance in their factory applications, that doesn't mean it can't be tuned to give you better performance than leaving it unplugged. I am controlling it via MS3x and while I don't have any dyno proof, it can certainly improve engine behavior in certain scenarios.

Yeah, becuase increasing VE and having broader powerbands is such a bad thing.

Guess 580ftlbs at 3200rpm on my little 3.0 is really just there to get 32mpg on the freeway.

GTFO with your nonsense.

Actually tightmopedman9 and many others have been developing self tuning for these white blocks and have recently been tuning for the vvt for 98 cars with rn swaps. Idk all the details, but the vvt can definitely be used for performance, and I plan on doing so once I get my 03 dual vvt head back from the shop for my 98 s70 t5

Actually tightmopedman9 and many others have been developing self tuning for these white blocks and have recently been tuning for the vvt for 98 cars with rn swaps. Idk all the details, but the vvt can definitely be used for performance, and I plan on doing so once I get my 03 dual vvt head back from the shop for my 98 s70 t5

Nice

I know there's been a LOT of progress done even with ME4.4

let me know how that goes

It's going great! I was using him to tune my car via email. At the time it had the stock 98 motor with over 300k, and plenty of bolt ons including a 19t, angled flange 3" downpipe with a decatted 2.5" back, and green injectors. Right now it's got an 02 v70 t5 engine with 137k miles sitting in it now, with the above head getting rebuilt. I'm gonna continue using him to tune, and also he sells a kit to convert it from a distributor setup to coil packs that I'm gonna use, as well as utilize the dual vvt for performance gains. He sells a plug-in ECU that can hold four seperate tunes, and once in done installing my water methanol kit I'm gonna have him make a seperate tune on the computer for it. With his tune and the original motor I was able to pull on a 2010 5.0 mustang from 60-110mph, so I'm very happy with his tuning abilities!

OK, Engine is now sitting in my truck. Getting it out of the V70 was a huge pain in the dick

volvo%20engine_zpsqeerz5lm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

volvo%20engine%202_zpskeui5vc4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

clutch question....

Im getting an 850 flywheel (ive read it does not matter if N/A or turbo as all clutches mate up to it, Even the R) But Im just checking because on Specs website, they have stage 3+ clutches for $1000 that fit the turbo and hold 595 ftlbs but the NA stage 3+ only holds 350ftlbs, and the prices reflect that. Obviously, just get the one I need, BUT! Im curious what, if any, are the differences.

Also Im using a 3550 Tremec, so I realize I need to get a 10spline hub

I have the Spec Stage 3+ in my 242 and so far I can throw all the power to it that I want. It also has a decent amount of miles on it from its FWD days. Spec however has a bad name in the Volvo world, at least FWD, as they sometimes start slipping pre-maturely for no apparent reason (personally know 2 people with 3 stage 3 six puck clutches that had issues).

I had a stage 3+ in my ranger with 478whp and I loved it. Felt like factory, and never had an issue which is why I kinda wanted to use it. $900 is quite a bit for a clutch kit though. Ill have to give it a think.

I also realized it was the size difference. Its pretty amazing what 12mm will do.

I think I have my clutch stuff figured out now. Im gonna go with a 707 PP and an R disc with a 10 spline hub. I just have to get someone to make that disc.... I live in detroit and there are plenty of clutch shops, so I should be able to get someone to do it.

My buddy works for ZF as an engineer, and I have gave him the 707 part number, and he said he could get that no problem, so I got lucky with the PP hookup. Then, just repin the Flywheel, and I should be set on all of this stuff. Its nice to see it all coming together easily.

I think the V6 Camaros had a 10 spline 240mm clutch setup that you may be able to use the disc from. might be cheaper to grab one from clutch net and combine it with the 707. Just double check the size again. Its been a while since i looked at it.

Back