• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Any interest in AW30-43 torque reduction delete?

tomasss

former PRVert
Any interest in AW30-43 / AW50-42 torque reduction delete?

I've been recently making the "magic box" that allows to remove the torque reduction "comfort" feature during the shifts of the AW30-40/AW30-43 auto transmission that is in the 960/960II/S90/V90 with 2.5/3.0 petrol engine, and I was wondering that maybe more people from here would like it.
The comfort feature originally decreases the torque of the engine during every shift, and according to my measurements

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5364226&postcount=6

it may in some cases reduce the power for second or so.
Using this box, the torque of the engine is not decreased at all, the smoothness of the shifts is the same with light throttle, but with throttle wide open, its nice quick shifts without the noticeable power decrease just before the shift occurs.

It can be used both for the older Motronic 1.8 (960 and some early 960II) and newer Motronic 4.4 (later 960II and all S90/V90), but it has to be specified before the order.

The installation is really simple, just cutting three wires, connecting them to the box and powering the box with switched +12V and ground.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5372741&postcount=8

I've already installed it in my 960 with Motronic 1.8 and it works flawlessly, now I am awaiting feedback from one Finland guy as he is going to install it in his 960 with Motronic 4.4, to confirm the functionality.

Price would be $20 for the Motronic 4.4 and $25 for the Motronic 1.8, plus shipping (the box is really light so I would expect something around $5).

Will there be some interest at all?

Last edited:
Isn't the 30-40 box the same as the a340 supra? Can't you just do the accumulator mod for the same effect?

I always figured it was transmission longevity item. It's just there for comfort?
Don't think so, the weaker AW7x hadn't this feature at all and it wasn't problem, so why it should be in this stronger one.

Isn't the 30-40 box the same as the a340 supra? Can't you just do the accumulator mod for the same effect?
This modification, in fact, is more about the engine performance than transmission. Sure you can do the accumulator mod to speedup the shifts, but still there will be a decrease of the engine torque during the shifting. If you want to eliminate it completely (and retain the original TCM), something similar like this has box must be used.

Don't think so, the weaker AW7x hadn't this feature at all and it wasn't problem, so why it should be in this stronger one.

The 'weaker' AW7X was hydraulic though.

There are plenty of vehicles out there with torque management and all that other stuff that keeps transmissions from blowing apart. I just figured this was something like that.

The comfort thing does make sense. My mom had an m46 330, you couldn't even feel it shift.

The 'weaker' AW7X was hydraulic though.
Yes, the transmission "brain" is hydraulic, but there is no restriction of the engine power output at all.
So this is why those cars felt sluggish and mushy on acceleration?
Partially. Improve the restrictive exhaust & intake, better cams, remove the comfort functions of the transmission, set the camshaft gears +4˚ advance on intake and +2˚ advance on exhaust and you have multiplied the fun factor by 100.

One thing I've forgot - as the electronic management is the same for the FWD AW50-42 as well (automatic transmissions in the 850's and first gen. of S/V70's), this thing may be used in these cars as well! :cool:

Hey Tomasss, Im interested in building a torque reduction delete box also.
Is there any chance of an explanation of the diagram & what parts to get if there is a better way of making one up?

Back