• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Hot restart issues

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
1995 945T. When it is 105+ deg outside the car doesn't seem to like to hot restart. The car will just keep cranking. Eventually the car will restart after I unplug the injectors and let it crank for 10-15 seconds, plug the injectors back in and crank for another 2-3 times for 10+ seconds each.

Injectors are fairly new ev14 units, and the car runs on e54 is that helps make sense of possible fueling issues. Once the car is running I have zero to no issues at idle or under load. The only oddity is higher idle than normal so I am guessing at a possible vac leak. This might be my cause of the long restart and the high idle.

Ideas on what to check? I am planning on checking the RSR and FP relays for bad solder joints later today.

Next time it does it unplug 1 injector, see if it fires. I had that happen on mine, rsr couldn't handle 4 injectors at startup, 3 was fine.

Check fuel pressure as well.

Lots of things to check at this age and with the heat.

Check the fuel pressure regulator for liquid fuel in the line, indicating a torn diaphragm. Had this on my first 240 and it would crank crank crank.

Crank position sensor on my 740 would allow the car to start fine when cold, drive hours and hours, but once you shut it off when warm it wouldn’t restart for a while. $14 amazon sensor fixed that.

RSR as mentioned above. I hacked the Volvo crap out of there and replaced with standard style relays. Cheap, readily available, and reliable.

CPS and RSR are huge notorious issues.

Is the alcohol evaporating in the lines? Pour water on the fuel rail

I’ve also had this happen when the in tank pump was inoperable. I was at a high altitude where fuel evaporated much easier. Then, the main pump worked very hard and the fuel got hot and caused stumbling and stalling issues.

Back