• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gas problem

90volvo

I have 90 240. I live in a rough area and my gas gets stolen on weekly basis. Yes, I?ve used locking gas caps, that worked for a week. Now they just take a screw driver and open it. So I?m kinda stump at this point. Did Volvo put remote gas doors on 240s ever? Anybody have any ideas? I have a 240 and so does my son. Yes they hitting them both.

Those lame thieves. My Ford F250 has a locking gas door. You could try that by drilling a hole for the lock cylinder in the gas door. Then instead of using a normal key that they can use the screwdriver on. You use the cylinder type of key like on a vending machine. Then nothing can be inserted into the key cylinder. They sell those cylinders and keys at places like JC whitney and a safe company or a locksmith could also probably supply that type of key and cylinder. On the inside the cylinder would turn a flap of steel so it would be pretty hard but not impossible to pry open the gas door.

I would also suggest getting a security camera setup to watch your cars. That and a sign warning them that it is under surveillance should help.

Keep under 1/4 tank for a while, maybe it won't be worth the effort.

Stay up all night and catch them? Send them a message so to speak.

Maybe an aftermarket alarm, and use the hood open switch on the gas door? I've replaced a few fuel tanks lately, for customers who had their tanks drilled to have the gas stolen. So count yourself lucky that their only siphoning.

Idk if it's feasible, but inserting some sort of stainless strainer/mesh in the filler neck to prevent a hose from being inserted down into the tank might help...

Otherwise, if I were you, I'd be taking one of your vehicles out of commission temporarily, filling that sucker up with gas mixed with something evil (water, maple syrup, diesel?), and letting the thieves steal the tainted gas and **** up their car. Then drop your tank and clean it out because it's probably super dirty from them inserting a dusty grimy hose in there anyways.

Switch to e85, if your siphoning gas your car probably isn't flex fuel compatible.

Or disconnect the filler neck, cap it off and buy another filler neck and route it down into the spare tire well to **** with them. Eventually they will give up and just drill a whole in your tank

Otherwise, if I were you, I'd be taking one of your vehicles out of commission temporarily, filling that sucker up with gas mixed with something evil (water, maple syrup, diesel?), and letting the thieves steal the tainted gas and **** up their car.

I like the way you think.

Fuel cell in the trunk. 1/3 of a tank of half water half gas in the real one?

As was said before, if you make it too obvious that you're trying to thwart them, they may just damage the car.

Is this a common problem in your area, or do you think it's just a couple nearby youths who have found your 240s easy pickings?

I'd look into adding an alarm with a "hood switch" or "door switch" added to the fuel door. This would hopefully scare them off, and keep them away, with no extra damage to your car.

The cheap version, until they figure out that it's a bluff, is putting a sign in the windows about Video Surveillance, and related actions. Maybe a blinking led light on the dashboard too?

Perhaps you could pose for a few pictures with your son, like this?

Gas_Stealers_Beware_1974.jpg

Seriously though, I'd be wary of fitting some sort of locked gas cap/flap, if they want your gas, they'll just pry it open and damage your 240.

Last edited:
I know it isn't cheap. But a Ring doorbell camera will alert you and give you a nice close up shot of their face when they look at it as they open the filler door.

Back