• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 How find the diff ratio of 945 ?

940T4R

Hello,

I search how I can find the diff ratio from my 945 GLE from 12/97
It is possible with the VIN ?

I have check under the car of the rear axle but I have you nothing.

Is not normally a sticker on the rear axle on the driver's side ?

Thanks

Not sure how late the practice was followed, but on my '91 740, I had to scrape away some of the black underbody coating in order to find the differential info sticker.

I believe the late 940 manuals with M90 gearbox and B230FT have a 3.54 ratio, while the B230FK with M90 have a 3.31 ratio.
Auto boxes should have a 3.31 ratio too I believe.

Not 100% sure on that though.
I have a late 97 945 too and the sticker on my axle tube is there, but unreadable unfortunately.

If you jack up the rear of the car so both wheels are off the ground, you can figure it out.

Use a piece of tape or write on the tire at 12:00 / straight up. Put a piece of tape at a corresponding spot on the fender.

Then, underneath the car, paint the driveshaft flange on the rear axle.

Last, have an assistant slowly rotate the wheel (on the side with the tape on it and the tape on the fender). While they do that, count the number of revolutions of the driveshaft. If it turns about 3.5 turns, you probably have a 3.54. If the driveshaft turns almost 4 complete rotations, you've probably got a 3.73. If it turns just a little more than 3 turns, probably a 3.31.

Last edited:
Back