• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Cracked Red Block

Spiderhead

Hey guys,

I just bought a 240 Turbo project car and the previous seller claimed to rebuild the engine. I already knew what I was getting into when buying a project car so I was prepared to find a blown engine but was hoping I'd get lucky. Today I took the head off to inspect the cylinders and the overall engine. This is when I noticed in cylinder 2 there are two possible cracks that almost make their way around the entire cylinder when joined together.

How often do Red Blocks crack, specifically B21FTs? I haven't had the block magnafluxed to be 100% sure but it is a possibility. If it is cracked, how much power do you think one of the previous owners was running? Currently the car has the stock ECU but a MegaSquirt was included with the car but without a complete MegaSquirt harness, it is missing a few connectors.

Thanks for reading and can't wait to hear peoples opinions!

B21FTs have pretty thick cylinder walls, I’d say it’s really uncommon for them to crack. Do you live somewhere that gets cold in the winter? Wonder if someone ran straight water in the engine and let it freeze.

Yea I live in Alberta, Canada. Will get down to at least - 40c for a solid two weeks every year

I'd be impressed if someone managed to crack a B21FT without letting it freeze.

I'd have it checked out by a machine shop before declaring it a lost cause.

The other way engine blocks crack is if they are very low on coolant and hot. Then someone fills up the engine coolant without the engine running. That cold coolant rushing in there will crack a block. Happened to my mothers pinto wagon back in the day.

The other way engine blocks crack is if they are very low on coolant and hot. Then someone fills up the engine coolant without the engine running. That cold coolant rushing in there will crack a block. Happened to my mothers pinto wagon back in the day.

Similar story with dad's Chevy Celebrity. Was flushing out the coolant and while draining it the block cracked. Turns out there was a secret GM warranty regarding a known casting flaw in Iron duke engine blocks and ended up getting a new short block from the dealer.

Back