• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Interior door metal cracks

VolvoLatAm

Has anybody ever seen small fissures on the interior door panel metal behind the door cards (but only on the driver door). Can I drill these cracks at the tip to stop the sharpness of the crack continuing the metal to crack and expand?

Yes, I've seen these cracks on both front doors. As for drilling I would prefer to weld.

It's mostly just from shock/work fatigue. I usually see this on high mileage, poorly cared for cars. It's not a big issue and there's not much that you need to do for it, a weld will seal it, a hole will arrest the transfer of energy, but another 30 years of driving and you still won't be in any different of a position than you're in now. If it's not in an important area I'd leave it alone and maybe not slam the door as hard.

I had this issue on my current car. The nut plate inside the door wasn’t spot welded all that great and the welds broke.
I pulled the door, drilled out the ends of the cracks, fully welded everything. Then some grinder and paint time later, you can’t let there was even an issue.

I drilled two holes near the corners of the internal nut-plate, and then plug welded the nut plate to the door skin. If your door has bad/mis-placed spot welds on the internal plate, I'd recommend this too.

Back