• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ford 3.7 V6, Mustang-F150?

ME II

I was just curious if anyone has put one of these in a 240. I drive one every day in my 2014 F150, and I like it. A lot! The motor comes in late model Mustangs with a 5 speed behind it. My truck weighs about 5K and it pushes it very well indeed. Motor trend got a 15.9 1/4 out of one in a double cab pickup that weighs even more than mine. Its 302 hp, light, all aluminum, and has a good reputation. And it sounds awesome with its 7k redline.

Too big for the Amazon, already measured.:)

Just curious.......

One reason that pushrod v8s are common is that they are a relatively narrow and short engine, and they fit in a Volvo engine bay very nicely. DOHC V6s aren't exactly small in physical size, and that might be a limitation.

Requires a lot of the donor truck put into the new vehicle. Here's an ecoboost to old F-100 project to read up on.....

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147380

Thanks for the link, I'll read it. He is talking the ecoboost, a whole dfferent animal. That is way more complicated that the NA 3.7, and is really not all that much more powerful. Has about 30 hp on the 3.7 and quite a bit more torque.

I saw that writeup or one like it when I briefly thought of swapping an ecoboost into my 67 Ford to replace the 460, but decided to sell that uncomfortable gas pig.

I notice ecoboost motors go for a lot of money, 3.7's not so much.

One reason that pushrod v8s are common is that they are a relatively narrow and short engine, and they fit in a Volvo engine bay very nicely. DOHC V6s aren't exactly small in physical size, and that might be a limitation.

A cobra 4.6 fits just fine in a 240.

Well if a 4.6 will fit a 3.7 should be no problem. I had a Lincoln with a 4.6, and it is big! Lincolns had the Cobra motor.

Thanks for the link, I'll read it. He is talking the ecoboost, a whole dfferent animal. That is way more complicated that the NA 3.7, and is really not all that much more powerful. Has about 30 hp on the 3.7 and quite a bit more torque.

I saw that writeup or one like it when I briefly thought of swapping an ecoboost into my 67 Ford to replace the 460, but decided to sell that uncomfortable gas pig.

I notice ecoboost motors go for a lot of money, 3.7's not so much.

Shows what I know. I thought all the new stuff was ecoboost....

I have a 1967 Galaxie that I want to put a triton V10 into. I know everybody says don't do it, but what the hell. The motors are cheap, it only weighs like 50 pounds more than the FE block that's in it now. And it will have tons of torque in factory tune. For me it's all about the sound of a V10 when it's wound up. It'll need headers, intake, and a tune to let it rev higher. If I can find one of those KB supercharger kits, even better.....

I have a 1967 Galaxie that I want to put a triton V10 into. I know everybody says don't do it, but what the hell. The motors are cheap, it only weighs like 50 pounds more than the FE block that's in it now. And it will have tons of torque in factory tune. For me it's all about the sound of a V10 when it's wound up. It'll need headers, intake, and a tune to let it rev higher. If I can find one of those KB supercharger kits, even better.....

Just swap in two T5s

Shows what I know. I thought all the new stuff was ecoboost....

ive never understood why people bash on those engines so much. 300hp and 420 ft. lbs of torque will scoot just about any car along pretty well and the unique sound track is just icing on the cake lol

I was just curious if anyone has put one of these in a 240. I drive one every day in my 2014 F150, and I like it. A lot! The motor comes in late model Mustangs with a 5 speed behind it. My truck weighs about 5K and it pushes it very well indeed. Motor trend got a 15.9 1/4 out of one in a double cab pickup that weighs even more than mine. Its 302 hp, light, all aluminum, and has a good reputation. And it sounds awesome with its 7k redline.

Too big for the Amazon, already measured.:)

Just curious.......

Don't all the 2010+ v6 mustangs have the 3.7? And they used a 6 speed manual not a 5 speed. That would be a cool motor to have though. Good luck finding a donor 2010+ mustang:lol:

For every 300HP 3.7 v6 you find, you'll find 15 5.3 truck motors. They're probably cheaper as well and easier to make power out of. If you find the all aluminum one (lm4..?) it's probably not much heavier either.

For every 300HP 3.7 v6 you find, you'll find 15 5.3 truck motors. They're probably cheaper as well and easier to make power out of. If you find the all aluminum one (lm4..?) it's probably not much heavier either.

But.. I don't like the 5.3.

Had one, spent a good portion of the two years I had in in the service department. That 5.3 is why I am driving a Ford. Add to that that the Ford I have now with a 3.7 is close to as fast, sounds way better and gets a lot better mileage. I'm sure I had a lemon, was the one that dropped cylinders, but it was broke all the time.

But.. I don't like the 5.3.

Had one, spent a good portion of the two years I had in in the service department. That 5.3 is why I am driving a Ford. Add to that that the Ford I have now with a 3.7 is close to as fast, sounds way better and gets a lot better mileage. I'm sure I had a lemon, was the one that dropped cylinders, but it was broke all the time.

Really? I've always heard that your average SBC itself was reliable. I've never driven a 5.3, just read a lot about them. The 3.7 does pull nicely for a v6 though. Was your 5.3 just a stock motor?

Really? I've always heard that your average SBC itself was reliable. I've never driven a 5.3, just read a lot about them. or?

I'm traditionally a ford guy, but sounds like you just had a lemon (or ran into a typically craptastic service department) with that 5.3 bud. I'm all about being different and putting a 3.7 in...that to me sounds like a fantastic combo, but if you want something quick and easy I've got some of Ken's LSx mounts that I'm not using yet (found a killer deal on a T5). Point is don't let one lemon hold you back from LS swapping everything in your house (blender, dishwasher, microwave whatever).

^ lol. Just think how prevalent SBC's are in the yards. To my knowledge that 3.7 is DOHC (so 4 cams.....) whereas the SBC is pushrod (only 1). I think an all aluminum 5.3 would be nearly as light or lighter than the all aluminum 3.7. If I had money and knew anything about cars I'd take an SBC any day. In and out the door in stock form you can be around 300BHP. A cam and tune can probably get you 300whp.

Totally stock, traded while still under warranty.

Most of the problems with the motor had to do with the cylinder dropping junk. Two sets of lifters and two computers. But the lifters were $1700 if out of warranty so I dumped it before it had 60 K on it. Rear end went out once and brakes in front replaced twice I never really hauled anything heavy with it as I had an F250 for that. It was disappointing.

The thing was that even totally empty the thing would only go into 4Cyl mode for about 5 seconds, so it was a bunch of complication for no gain. Mileage was never close to advertised, where my Ford actually can do better than sticker.

I'd like to drive a Mustang with a manual just to see. The Mustang has to be a lot lighter than my truck and the truck runs awesome. I'm sure the Mustang is tuned a bit different but it has the same HP output. Can't remember what a 240 wagon weighs but I would imagine it would be close to a new Mustang. Have to look that up.

I have a real good junkyard connection for late model stuff so getting one would not be that hard. I've got a SBF on the stand I was saving for a 240, but I really like this 3.7. From what I have been able to dig up it was developed for the Sierra marketed in Europe so its been around a while. Its a squirter motor as well.

Besides, I like different.

Larry

Back