• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

An '88 245 N/A Build

Johann245

Volvoholic
Well, it's about time I start my thread for my wagon(starting to lose track of things). This was going to sit and get worked on in my storage but seeing as Mahina is no more, here she is. Day one.

Acquired about three months ago, with 288k on a working odometer, I'm 8,122 miles away from 300k. She's handled very nicely on the three major trips I've gone on so far. Eats up water from somewhere though. I'm thinking a Waterpump connection that I can't see straight on. Once my Mahina project is out of my storage, I'll be chasing a lot of gremlins.

A few pros the car came with:
Newer alternator
3 row, non leaky, radiator
New style front window/seal
Roof rack removed two owners ago and plugged.
Rebuilt AW70 around this^ time
Same owner^ added a push button for the locks, still neutral on this
Not completely destroyed sheepskin seat covers
Curt tow hitch with wiring
'82 398 head. Part number and discussions with John Laughlin have determined this to be a just a regular 398 sporting a B cam(was actually an M cam)

Cons:
Grapefruit sized dent in roof corner
Previous owner was a smoker(smells gone now)
Rips in drivers seat
Random dash trim broken(fixed)
The usual minor problems from owners not caring of course

Projects completed so far(mostly swaps):
<s>Virgo wheels</s>215/55 Hydras
Truck liner-ed lower mouldings, front lip, belt line trim and the skid plate
IPd skid plate bolted up
52mm Tachometer and Volts gauge wired in
Fogs wired up
'92 beltline trim(<s>missing rear doors ATM</s>)
'92 Black door handles
<s>iPd wires</s>Kingsborne 8mm wires
Kn air filter with airbox mod
Battery with new terminals added
<s>GT strut braces</s>
^Removed to make room for kalphenke tower brace
Installed dog gate
Euro side marker lights wired up
New front axxis ultimate brake pads
2?" over axle exhaust with single front magnaflow muffler, no cat.

Future projects(so far):
<s>Install turbo front bar/19mm rear bar</s>
<s>Install Exhaust system</s>
<s>'91 530 head, RSI N/A Cam, iPd gear, larger valves(46/38s), larger seats, isky double valve springs, shaved 40 thousandths from deck</s>
Fix Hatch harness to third light and wiper
<s>Replace intank fuel pump</s>
<s>Oil breather box</s>
<s>Install Rad. Reservoir</s>
<s>Install Silicone rad. hoses</s>
Injectors professionally clean and flow tested.
New tie rod ends
New ball joints
<s>New inline Fuel pump</S>
<s>Install black door handles</s>
Install black hatch hinges
M46 swap
<s>KGT 4-2-1 Header</s>
New trans pan gasket and filter

In progress:

As she sits now:

To be continued...

Last edited:
This wagon will shape up quickly with all those donor parts from the 244. Too bad, that accident didn't look horrible, hope you at least stripped absolutely everything off it!

I got most the parts off the white sedan, to a point where I just got tired of it and wanted it out. Lol

I love my rain guard's!

And thank you Turbobrick.

I've just acquired an RSI N.A cam which will go nicely with the head off the sedan, after the machinist of course, and the exhaust system from sedan. I can't wait to hear that idle! Lol

Ouch! Sorry to see you get that RSI cam. Not a fun cam. Very lumpy idle. Made my B230 run like a tractor. And no real action until way up over 3000 rpm.

But maybe you'll like it.

Lh2.2, exhaust , cam, cam gear, ported/flowed/shaved 530 head with possibly new internals, possible header. I'll enjoy my dd. I prefer the lumpy tractor idle. That's why I bought it. :-D

Ouch! Sorry to see you get that RSI cam. Not a fun cam. Very lumpy idle. Made my B230 run like a tractor. And no real action until way up over 3000 rpm.

But maybe you'll like it.

Can't wait till my other fog grilles get here from Latvia!

IMG_20150804_141459_zpsiuwffx35.jpg
[/URL]

Not pictured upgrades: turbo front sway/end links/poly bushes
Oil change with rotella T5/mann filter

New exhaust

The cat is completely empty and the rear muffler is full of crap and completely degraded.

New

19>16

Decided to do a little more work in the bay today. Pulled the intake manifold so I could address the 300k mile breather box, or so I assume, with a brand new Volvo, made in Sweden, breather box. Also decided to replace the heater hoses while I was there and just went to to town replacing the rest of my rad hoses too, silicone FCP sport hoses all around with a new coolant tank. Put in a new 87?Volvo thermo. Cleaned IAC valve. New gaskets all around.

And ....

I put yellow tops and a 3 bar FPR back in instead of my blacktops and 2.5 bar FPR.

The eight minute drive home didn't really notice a difference. Except for a slightly better throttle response from the cleaning of the throttle body.

All the pics I got before I started rushing to get the **** done. Hangry is never a good mood to work on a car in.

Last edited:
That is some grungy, heinous intake crap right thar.

The brown interior gives me tinglies. So very brown.

I had to use a flathead to scrape off the caked parts. It was bad.

Brown is growing on me. I'd like a new drivers seat though. And a new glove box. And brown floor trays. And some rear pieces. And a brown armrest.

Back