• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Supercharging a 240

lagoo

Hello guys!

So i want to ask for advices or if anybody has any experience with this type of build I am eager to hear about it.

This summer Im looking forward to purchase some kind of a Volvo 240 but I have no specific ideas about the production year, engine etc. because it really depends on what I can find on the markets in my country or in Europe. However there is a 1986 240 with a US market b230f engine and if im lucky enough I am going to give it a try. But back to the topic, the only sure thing is that I can only have a car equipped with NA engine due to my budget. So I wanted to install some kind of forced induction to tune it up a bit. I dont want to produce crazy HPs or to be an overkill build. That?s why I?m thinking about superchargers because I read that it might be easier to install, produceses less heat and so on and to be honest it will be the only supercharged 240 in my country so its kinda cool. I know your thinking about why I wouldn?t go for a factory turbo one and the reason is the cheapest i could find is 7500? and it is not really roadworthy. So I would like to know your thoughts about it. Is there any possible way to do this or is it totally forbidden? And if it is possible what would be the suitable engines, what parts should i go for?
I plan to use this car mostly cruising and having a bot of fun with it. My HP goal is somewhere between 150-200 if it?s possible.
Sorry if this article is covered already.

Thanks for your help, greetings from Hungary!

Why not buy one from NL or Sweden and ship it to Hungary? I see Hungarian car towers 'everywhere' here so it shouldn't be too hard to get a car from here to there.
240's go for a couple of hundred up to thousands, but a reasonable 80's/90's 240 with a turbo engine out of a 940 would be maybe €1500~€3000.
Original Turbo cars are getting expensive as well over here.

Why not buy one from NL or Sweden and ship it to Hungary? I see Hungarian car towers 'everywhere' here so it shouldn't be too hard to get a car from here to there.
240's go for a couple of hundred up to thousands, but a reasonable 80's/90's 240 with a turbo engine out of a 940 would be maybe ?1500~?3000.
Original Turbo cars are getting expensive as well over here.
This.

Unless you already have a supercharger, and are a welder with a lot of free time, There is no way a supercharger with a fabbed manifold, custom mounts, belt and pulley mods and all the other ecu and supporting mods is going to be cheaper and simpler that swapping in factory parts. Even If you have to ship all the parts for a turbo from another European country it will be cheaper. As many have said, most of the turbo related parts from a 740 will bolt on.
You can fit all the parts for a turbo swap into the trunk of a 240 if you drive to get them yourself.....With a wagon, you could pick up and bring home things like sway bars, manual trannies and driveshafts.

google: "volvo 240 supercharger"

There are few examples already done.

Like mentioned already a turbo would be easier and smarter but where is the fun in that? :)

Like mentioned already a turbo would be easier and smarter but where is the fun in that? :)
Did two supercharged 16V redblocks, "B25" and B21, in a 240 before got lazy and started doing a 6-cyl whiteblock turbo :lol:

Supercharging has its own feel but turbo is way easier as mentioned.

Hello guys!

So i want to ask for advices or if anybody has any experience with this type of build I am eager to hear about it.

This summer Im looking forward to purchase some kind of a Volvo 240 but I have no specific ideas about the production year, engine etc. because it really depends on what I can find on the markets in my country or in Europe. However there is a 1986 240 with a US market b230f engine and if im lucky enough I am going to give it a try. But back to the topic, the only sure thing is that I can only have a car equipped with NA engine due to my budget. So I wanted to install some kind of forced induction to tune it up a bit. I dont want to produce crazy HPs or to be an overkill build. That?s why I?m thinking about superchargers because I read that it might be easier to install, produceses less heat and so on and to be honest it will be the only supercharged 240 in my country so its kinda cool. I know your thinking about why I wouldn?t go for a factory turbo one and the reason is the cheapest i could find is 7500? and it is not really roadworthy. So I would like to know your thoughts about it. Is there any possible way to do this or is it totally forbidden? And if it is possible what would be the suitable engines, what parts should i go for?
I plan to use this car mostly cruising and having a bot of fun with it. My HP goal is somewhere between 150-200 if it?s possible.
Sorry if this article is covered already.

Thanks for your help, greetings from Hungary!

What supercharger did you have in mind?

If you really want to do it maybe start with a C230 supercharger and figure out a placement in the engine bay.
imgres

Back