• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ford 8.8 who's running c-clips eliminators?

Ilvmetal

Looking for ideas on running rear disks for my 8.8 rear setup with c clip eliminators.
My local track requires running c-clips eliminators for 10 sec and less cars.
We got twins from On3 performance on a LH6 ls motor so good brakes at 130+ is a must.
Any 8.8 owners running c clip eliminators?
here a pic of what I got so far;
ftDITi7

I mean. What are you planning on doing with the car? I run OEM cclips on both of my cars, have taken them to the drags and never had them checked. Are you planning on doing powertour or something?

I mean. What are you planning on doing with the car? I run OEM cclips on both of my cars, have taken them to the drags and never had them checked. Are you planning on doing powertour or something?

We it's not me but my local track rules states:
"Any car on slicks must have a driveshaft loop, C-clip eliminators and long wheel studs"

So Slicks are a must and the eliminators will be the first thing they look for. I guess a couple of years ago a big block Buick with c clips lost a axle in the crowd and almost killed some poor bastard.
Thinking i'll start with some ford cobra disk's and take some measurements.

This is why I’ve never understood swapping to a c-clip 8.8 from a semi-float Volvo axle. The 8.8 is an ok axle, and stronger, but c-clips are such a liability, and for not much more money you could have speced out a 9” that is better in every way. I know that doesn’t help now, but something I’ve never grasped.

8.8 is cheap in the yards and easy to find funny thing is it looks like a 12 bolt chevy inside...It even uses some of the same bearings c-clip are just a method of axle retention, back in the drum brake days a broken rear end would allow the axle to fall out......a disc brake will stop that from happing now. As the rotor is trapped by the caliper The 9 inch and others use a pressed on bearing that bolts onto the end of the axle tube

Last edited:
Yeah there were 37 explorers in the local PNP's when I did my 8.8 swap. I found exactly what I was looking for 4.10 gears and traction lock LSD. $150 out the door with the extra short axle slid in the housing.

Yeah there were 37 explorers in the local PNP's when I did my 8.8 swap. I found exactly what I was looking for 4.10 gears and traction lock LSD. $150 out the door with the extra short axle slid in the housing.

Holy cow!
being that i'm in Screw-york a rusted out on goes for $450.
Shoot me your yards numbers and i'll shoot down there next week!!

8.8 is cheap in the yards and easy to find funny thing is it looks like a 12 bolt chevy inside...It even uses some of the same bearings c-clip are just a method of axle retention, back in the drum brake days a broken rear end would allow the axle to fall out......a disc brake will stop that from happing now. As the rotor is trapped by the caliper The 9 inch and others use a pressed on bearing that bolts onto the end of the axle tube

It really depends on how the axle breaks if the caliper is going to retain your wheel, and even if it does your time is limited. C-clip also means that the axle itself is the bearing surface for the weight of the vehicle. Semi-float moves the weight onto a bearing and a race. All the 8.8 gets you is a cheap c-clip axle with the wrong bolt pattern. The whole 8.8 craze both here, and in the Jeep world, is false confidence and false economy.

This is why I?ve never understood swapping to a c-clip 8.8 from a semi-float Volvo axle. The 8.8 is an ok axle, and stronger, but c-clips are such a liability, and for not much more money you could have speced out a 9? that is better in every way. I know that doesn?t help now, but something I?ve never grasped.
Minus being heavier

Back