• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wheel bearings on 780 IRS

This should be the setup where it's a sealed bearing with the hub included. At least that is how they were when I did them on a 88 760 which should be the same. It's held on with a large nut. I imagine if the bearings got hot then you may need a puller to get the hub off. But when I did them they slid right off the spindle after removing the nut.

PS I am only referring to the front. If you mean the rear bearings. I'm pretty sure you need a puller to get them out.

This should be the setup where it's a sealed bearing with the hub included. At least that is how they were when I did them on a 88 760 which should be the same. It's held on with a large nut. I imagine if the bearings got hot then you may need a puller to get the hub off. But when I did them they slid right off the spindle after removing the nut.

PS I am only referring to the front. If you mean the rear bearings. I'm pretty sure you need a puller to get them out.
Sorry yes, it's for the rear, fronts are already done. I got 2 big sealed double row roller bearings from Rock auto.

Sorry yes, it's for the rear, fronts are already done. I got 2 big sealed double row roller bearings from Rock auto.

For the rear, I believe it is dismount the hub, press out the splined hub shaft , remove the circlip, then press out the double row bearing. I think you need a special set up to support the hub in the press though to remove the splined shaft. Check Sanders v12 build as he did this job to swap later v90 splined shafts into Mk1 hubs/ bearings.
I?m pretty sure have the IRS green book around here if you want me to scan the relevant section.
Patrick.

For the rear, I believe it is dismount the hub, press out the splined hub shaft , remove the circlip, then press out the double row bearing. I think you need a special set up to support the hub in the press though to remove the splined shaft. Check Sanders v12 build as he did this job to swap later v90 splined shafts into Mk1 hubs/ bearings.
I?m pretty sure have the IRS green book around here if you want me to scan the relevant section.
Patrick.
I have a giant gear puller at work that I think used in my Toyota to push out that same kind of piece for the FWD hub.

There is also a rear wheel bearing puller that places like Autozone rent to remove rear bearings on IRS cars like BMW. It's usually called the European car rear bearing puller. Lets you do the job on the car.

Back