• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Had a valve job done, how do I get my car ready top start?

BessieBlue

Anything I need to be aware of before turning the engine? what is the proper way to ensure I don't blow my car up? I drained the oil and radiator fluid and will replace it before starting (obviously). My dad was telling me to run the starter with the distributor off for about 30 seconds to see if the oil pressure goes up. Is that how I should do it?

They should have put it together with assembly lube but if it makes you feel better I would disable or unplug the fuel injectors not the distributor and crank it until the oil pressure light goes out.

Your dad was talking about priming the engine. You can use the starter to turn the engine over with the plugs out and fuel relay disconnected and power taken off ign coil. Turn over till you get oil up top or oil psi. On the head they should have used a light lube when they assembled it. Or pour some oil over the cam and buckets.

Volvo B230 is wet sump motor, your head should have plenty of assembly lube for startup, don't need to do anything else other than refill with oil. If you're still afraid do what the others said: remove fuel relay or fuses and use starter motor until oil light goes out. Honestly not necessary.

Back