• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 non abs SS lines question

I snapped the end of a couple of the hard lines trying to remove them, so I was wondering if anyone has used complete stainless steel lines from the octopus to the calipers? I have the short ipd style lines already. Any tips?

Make new hardlines?
Takes a few minutes, costs a few bucks, will last for a long time.

I am assuming you are talking about flexible braided stainless steel lines right?

I snapped the end of a couple of the hard lines trying to remove them, so I was wondering if anyone has used complete stainless steel lines from the octopus to the calipers? I have the short ipd style lines already. Any tips?

Go to the rallye spares depot and buy some more.

It would be expensive, and would result in a softer brake pedal compared to the hardlines. The pedal softness is caused by the plastic inner sleeve expanding before it can be restrained by the woven metal outer.

Just replace the hardline. Either used, or grab some 10mm bubble flared sections in approximately the correct length from the autoparts store and bend them to fit.

Never done it before. Was considering getting used lines from another car tho.

Meh, get yourself a simple kit in any part store (they are dirt cheap), the correct fittings and cut/flare them yourself, it's easy and there is 1000000000 "how to" video on the interwebz.

Just make sure to do the correct flare.

Thanks for the input. While I'm at it, is there a better fitting to use that isn't (assuming) brass? The reason the line broke was the 11mm nut rounded just by looking at it.

I'll need to know what diameter Hardline and which fittings to get specifically, as I have no idea.

Thanks for the input. While I'm at it, is there a better fitting to use that isn't (assuming) brass? The reason the line broke was the 11mm nut rounded just by looking at it.

I'll need to know what diameter Hardline and which fittings to get specifically, as I have no idea.

The line is 3/16 and can't remember the fitting threads and sizes and I don't have a line or calipers to look at right now. Somebody around here will probably have this info. Worst cast, just bring one line to the parts store and show it to the counter guy. I remember they are common stuff.

There's your problem, the flare nuts are 10mm.

The lines are still available from Volvo.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344513

If you want to make your own lines, it's 3/16" and the fittings are M10-1.0 thread bubble flare. Use Cunifer brake line. It's what Volvo used (and helped develop as a replacement for steel lines since it doesn't corrode) and is easy to bend.

1989 Volvo 240

ce4aef6c-06b4-40de-82de-c8ddebd4290e.JPG

Damn. Guess I didn't try the 10mm enough times.

Thinking to go for just making my own, sounds like something I can handle. Thanks all.

There's your problem, the flare nuts are 10mm.

The lines are still available from Volvo.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344513

If you want to make your own lines, it's 3/16" and the fittings are M10-1.0 thread bubble flare. Use Cunifer brake line. It's what Volvo used (and helped develop as a replacement for steel lines since it doesn't corrode) and is easy to bend.

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. They're 11mm. Not only that but I posted a link to wrong hard lines. :oops:

Some just round off from old age. Always use a counter hold 14 mm flare nut wrench for the hose and the correct 11 mm flare nut wrench for hard line. I keep a bunch of the hard lines on hand because you just never know.

Back