• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 245T mLPT B274FT Project

Dibs on the old windshield and trim!
Can I have your windshield? :lol:

How long was the car on the road before it was vacuum sealed? I can only imagine the feeling you get every time you open your garage door... Id kinda like to know more on the cars history... Very impressive work... good luck with it...
One of the subtle little details is how the interior smells new. It's pretty amazing in that respect.

Find a 84 Turbo brochure on ebay.

That's true. The only thing changed about the interior is an R-Sport 3-spoke Momo wheel (which there are plenty of pictures of on TB), the shift lever (which is not much to look at), and the dash layout (which is pictured on my pbase). Everything else is stock 1984 240 Turbo with tan leather.

Yay! Good to see a post in here finally. I'll have to dig through your Pbase sometime. Looking GREAT!!! Can't wait to see/hear more about it.

very nice, and looks like ALOT of cash was put into this project..
Buy one new, modify it for 20 some years, and yours will have a lot of cash in it as well...

How long was the car on the road before it was vacuum sealed? I can only imagine the feeling you get every time you open your garage door... Id kinda like to know more on the cars history.

Fair enough.

- January of 1984 I bought the car new at Immer & Oswald Volvo in Portland, Oregon (don't know if it's still there or not). I ordered it with dealer installed intercooler and limited slip and a few other things. Drove it from Portland to San Diego (where I was living) the next day. Had the Virgos powder-coated gold 2 weeks later.
- Fall of 1984 I drove it from San Diego to Boston and back to San Diego to visit fiance.
- In 1985 I got married and started using my wife's car as a daily driver.
- In 1986 I drove it from California to Ohio where it went into storage for 3 years (because I didn't have a garage where I was living in Virginia and I didn't want to keep it outside).
- In 1989 I moved to Maryland and got a garage so I drove it from Ohio to Maryland and continued modifying it (body kit, ipd bars and braces, lowering coils, vortex generators, etc.) and did some SOLO II.
- In 1991 I drove it to Ohio and put it in storage for 2.5 years while we lived in Japan.
- In 1994 we moved to San Diego and had a garage so I trailered it from Ohio to San Diego and continued modifying it (fuel system mods, boost controller, etc.) and continued to SOLO II race.
- In 1996 I trailered it from San Diego to Maryland to its current location.

Basically, since 1986 I have done almost nothing with it except race it (SOLO II) and show it. Almost all of its 28,000 miles were put on in the first 2 years I owned it. It has averaged about 200 - 300 miles per year since 1987.

Any dyno numbers yet?

B230%20turbo.jpg

graph of the 8v tubro from unitek

Graph01.jpg

16v N/A from unitek

Yeah, when I saw the tire size he was running, I was thinking.... so what if its a Ferrari tire, 8 inches of rubber is not enough.

Needs some BNE flareage and LMs

Needs some BNE flareage and LMs
Don't need to butcher the fender and stich it back together to widen the panel. Makes it necessary to repaint the arch, which is not absolutely necessary to fit large tires. It's not a bad approach, but it is a lot of work.

I would probably go with 235/40/17 front and 255/40/17 rear Toyo RA1 on 17x8.5 and 17x9.5. That should do nicely for limited street driving, track driving, and autocross for 5+ years.

Don't need to butcher the fender and stich it back together to widen the panel. Makes it necessary to repaint the arch, which is not absolutely necessary. It's not a bad approach, but it is a lot of work.

I would probably go with 235/40/17 front and 255/40/17 rear Toyo RA1 on 17x8.5 and 17x9.5. That should do nicely for limited street driving, track driving, and autocross for 5+ years.

A 9.5 should clear everything, but still, 255 with the power hes making isn't much more grip.

That wagon would look awesome with some big flares and wide wheels though, 17s, not 18s......

I dunno, 205s..... phweww, have fun on the streets....

Yeah, 400hp with big torque could certainly do with some 17x11 and 315s on the back for autocross. But 275/40/17 or 285/30/18 might be better option that's large, but not overly difficult to fit. For time trials on a track, I think that a <10" wheel could work OK because the speeds are higher and the corners are usually wider than in autocross.

The combination of height and width makes the more radical fender modifications necessary with tires wider than 275 and taller than 25". A taller rear gear might help control the power application too.

Racelogic TC is another option, or maybe the Omex system can do TC.

Back