• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What are these White Wires Coming out of the Loom?

mrak

Beefsma by Design
Okay so I have an '83 245 that I purchased in non-working condition. Somewhere between the last two owners a lot of wires in the engine bay were clipped and all kinds of nonsense was done to this car.

jsE68sc.jpg

It has these two white wires coming out of the factory loom by the coil. They're kind of like coax cables, a wire within a wire, but with a stranded wire inside. While trying to get the car to start we discovered the inside cable of one white wire ran to the Chrysler ignition. By attaching that to the negative side of the coil we achieved spark, but I can't seem to find where the other wire belongs, and what to do with the two outer wires. I've looked in my Bentley, and I can't seem to find them. Does anyone know what they are?

O I've looked in my Bentley, and I can't seem to find them. Does anyone know what they are?

You're right, the Bentley's map is rather vague on the shielding. In N3, the Chrysler ignition wiring is shown, but the wire to coil 1 (neg) is not shown with its shield. It is, however, where the shield gets its ground reference at pin 5 of the LH2.0 ECU in L4, but at the coil itself the map (C1) is totally confusing with the k-jet/Bosch engine management.

Anyhow, connect both inner conductors to coil negative. Take the shields and twist them together, but don't ground them at the coil, just insulate the joint. One of the wires -- the one that got you spark -- comes from the ignition controller. The other sends this RPM signal to the Jetronic fuel box next to your passenger's right shin.

Anyhow, connect both inner conductors to coil negative. Take the shields and twist them together, but don't ground them at the coil, just insulate the joint. One of the wires -- the one that got you spark -- comes from the ignition controller. The other sends this RPM signal to the Jetronic fuel box next to your passenger's right shin.

Thank you! Car has gone from just cranking to trying to start and sputtering out. I consider that a win, now I can troubleshoot the next thing. Thanks again.

Back