• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I know.. twin turbo B230f

Uhh.... 935, 961, 962, GT2RS, Ferrari F40, GTR Nismo GT3, Audi R10 TDI?

Sure, those are all 6's or 8's, but let's make sure we are clear. ;-)

OK factory bazzillion dollar road race cars are in this context not serious...

Ass-fault in general is an engineering and budgeting (searching for sponsorship) exercise, not serious racing.

just to be clear

Ass-fault in general is an engineering and budgeting (searching for sponsorship) exercise, not serious racing.

just to be clear

Just so we're clear, you're full of 5h1t! Goal post moving at it's finest. You clearly say...

It never works on gas car ...
Never done in any serious competition.

...now you wanna backpedal with some bull5h1t technicalities or "context' when none was provided before.

Guess what! Nobody here needs a "bazillion" dollar budget to go get (as an example!) an E320 engine and transmission (because they're cheap and plentiful), slap two 19T's on there easily make 500hp. Or, as some are already doing, running two 19t's on N54's and making over 600hp on stock blocks.

The sooner people stop listening to crap like this and actually look at the world outside of TB, they'll do some cool stuff.

just to be clear
Tell that to the formula one teams and constructors that spend hundreds of millions of dollars. They be laughing directly at you, not with you.

A Lotus twin turbo V8 Esprit comes to mind. Not all that expensive, turn key car you could buy right off the showroom floor. There are plenty of applications of twin turbocharged vehicles that work very nicely when the turbos are sized properly for their intended use.

You won't be really cool until you run one turbine per exhaust port into ITBs and also use individual blow off valves that play the first x notes of When the Saints Go Marching In.

694036d1357758984-interesting-quad-turbo-setup-on-a-4-cylinder-quad-turbo.jpg

noriyaro-caroline-racing-quad-turbo-s14-silvia__06.jpg

Guess what! Nobody here needs a "bazillion" dollar budget to go get (as an example!) an E320 engine and transmission (because they're cheap and plentiful), slap two 19T's on there easily make 500hp. Or, as some are already doing, running two 19t's on N54's and making over 600hp on stock blocks.

The sooner people stop listening to crap like this and actually look at the world outside of TB, they'll do some cool stuff.

giphy.gif

Point proven! You didn't actually add anything constructive or informative. You're just "going TBOT" ad tag teaming with that other drunk JV.

You, in this thread said...

In other words, you cantankerous, ignorant and just as full of 5h1t as JV.

Oh, and BTW...

0cb2d68bc34218731dd294a699ae243b.gif

:lol:

Ok.
Did you say anything constructive or informative?

If so:
where?
And when?

Noticed the question marks?

You said it was cool, I said it was cool.

Can we move on now?
I think the "cool" goal is reached, because that seems to be the point here.

yep, it may not be ideal, or efficient, or powerful.... but how would you know for sure?

Who care?
It's cool.

Last edited:

Ok.
Did you ask anything constructive or informative?

If so, where?
And when?

Noticed the question marks?

You said it was cool, I said it was cool.

Can we move on now?
I think the "cool" goal is reached, because that seems to be the point here.

Who care?
It's cool.

Yeah, we can move on. ;-)

Oh, and BTW...

0cb2d68bc34218731dd294a699ae243b.gif

Back to the original topic, there is actually a compelling technical argument to use two properly-sized small parallel (twin) turbochargers vs. a twin-scroll equipped single turbo that flows the same. I was a skeptic as well but once it was explained to me, I was open to the possibility. The small parallel twins can theoretically perform the same job with less compromise on the exhaust side vs. the single twin-scroll. I'd like to test it back to back someday. This is assuming the turbines are properly matched to the flow from half of the engine, and exhaust pairing is 1-4 and 2-3 on a conventional inline 4-cyl. I probably can't go into too much more detail on a public forum, but it has to do with where you are operating on the turbine map in both situations.

As a side note, the OP's proposal of a small parallel twin setup relates to transient response. The goal would be to approach NA levels of throttle response and time-to-torque.

Others brought up a series turbo system, with large turbo feeding a smaller one (on the compressor side; turbine side is opposite). The main reason to do this is if you can't find or make a single-stage compressor that can achieve the target pressure ratio. In other words, it only makes sense for ultra high boost applications, where you want very high specific power (hp/L). Totally different problem statement and end goal.

Back to the original topic, there is actually a compelling technical argument to use two properly-sized small parallel (twin) turbochargers vs. a twin-scroll equipped single turbo that flows the same. I was a skeptic as well but once it was explained to me, I was open to the possibility. The small parallel twins can theoretically perform the same job with less compromise on the exhaust side vs. the single twin-scroll. I'd like to test it back to back someday. This is assuming the turbines are properly matched to the flow from half of the engine, and exhaust pairing is 1-4 and 2-3 on a conventional inline 4-cyl. I probably can't go into too much more detail on a public forum, but it has to do with where you are operating on the turbine map in both situations.

I completely agree with this!!!

And this brings us back to BMW and the N54's. If anyone hasn't driven an E92 335i, do it!!! I believe they've accomplished this. When I drove it, I did so with DTC off, healthy applications of throttle, and honestly can't remember any lag from a dig! Instead, it was more than happy to spin it's tires and shake it's hips!

Honestly, I thought my old 244 +T with a 13c turbine (TDO4H. NOT HL!!) / 15G compressor, Derek Dawes MBC, and M cam was the king of spool, but N54's just plain stomp.

Of course, those tiny turbines are going to run out of steam pretty quick, and every tester that talks about it online talks about their lack of top end, but as a street car and canyon carver, that makes for an easy car to drive fast and/or be a hooligan in.

That sounds pretty cool, I'd like to see some side by side data.... but I can totally see how it could be better, at least as far as better exhaust flow, but I'm not a rocket surgeon, so the compressor side seems like it could be really easily hit or miss. Time to hit the books.

While you do are out-cooling each other, tell him it was watching ALL the fail from Japanese twin turbo cars, which he should know are indeed outside of TBOT...

And yeah bazillion rpm cars with a 1500 rpm wide poereband with 6-7 speed paddle shifted half automatic sequential boxes IS REALLY exactly the thing we look to to see what we need for a street car in Turdboatpricks..

Right on the subject.

Congratulations..

But whatabout Renaults V6 F1 engine back in the day?

in this thread. People that own. VOLVO 2/7/9 series cars debate whether their performance idea is better than other.

You guys... who even cares? Everything has been swapped into these cars. Why? Because bored. Why do any of you (save for the like... 3 of us that are properly restoring stuff (not me btw)) give a crap about a TT setup?

What's better? 2JZ? 302? LSx? C'mon... this has just gotten dumb now.

Back