• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1990 245 Blower Motor Replacement

districtmotors

Hi, I am taking the advice of TB Nation and replacing my blower motor when I install a new dash next week. What parts do I need to do the job right? (By brand and possibly part number) and where should I source them?

Volvo still had that stuff listed last time I looked. The Volvo resistor is the best quality and priced accordingly. The fan motor I usually use is the VDO Siemens one. The Volvo fan motor must have gold centers in it for the prices they ask now. If all your speeds work you may be able to just replace the fan motor. If you don't have all the fan speeds then a resistor is needed for the repair.

The current VDO motor is garbage. At least the version that is being sold by everyone online including IPD is utter crap. They are made in China and their quality control probably means they slap a sticker on it saying that it's been inspected. The inspection must consist of a slapping the sticker on it. They frequently come with the wrong length harness on them and they also have so much shaft play side to side the impellers hit the case. The last one I installed has already failed for all practical purposes. On my customer goes around a left turn entire shaft slides over to the right and the left impeller drags on the case squealing like crazy. Personally, I would look into a four seasons blower motor made in Canada. That is what I'm going to do when I have to go back into my customer's 240 and replace that wonderful VDO blower motor.

Had the same issue, the VDO is junk these days. Going to try the four seasons myself next time.

The current VDO motor is garbage. At least the version that is being sold by everyone online including IPD is utter crap. They are made in China and their quality control probably means they slap a sticker on it saying that it's been inspected. The inspection must consist of a slapping the sticker on it. They frequently come with the wrong length harness on them and they also have so much shaft play side to side the impellers hit the case. The last one I installed has already failed for all practical purposes. On my customer goes around a left turn entire shaft slides over to the right and the left impeller drags on the case squealing like crazy. Personally, I would look into a four seasons blower motor made in Canada. That is what I'm going to do when I have to go back into my customer's 240 and replace that wonderful VDO blower motor.

I didn't know they still made a version of the fan motor in Canada. Sure is worth a try. I haven't had any of the VDO ones fail on me but it is good to have choices.

I wish something like the original Volvo ones rebuilt by Bill Chebb in Canada was available. I still have a car with one of his fan motors installed which works great 20 years later.

Isn't there also something about lubing it yourself before you put it in? I've heard people say they've had years more use out of them, and it seems like a negligible effort for the risk.

I put a Siemens blower in my '90 when the original blower stopped working about 4 years ago and it's been solid. Replace the resistor while you're in there as replacing just the resistor requires you to pull everything apart anyways. One of those "while you're in there" sort of things.

First time I did it took like 12 hours. I bet I could do it in like 4-6 now that I've done it once. You really spend more time pulling the console apart and putting it back together than you do actually replacing the blower itself.

I didn't know they still made a version of the fan motor in Canada. Sure is worth a try. I haven't had any of the VDO ones fail on me but it is good to have choices.

I wish something like the original Volvo ones rebuilt by Bill Chebb in Canada was available. I still have a car with one of his fan motors installed which works great 20 years later.

Any clue what Bill used to do? I'd consider offering a rebuild service.

I've had both of these items on my shelf since November... still need to replace it. Just been putting it off. I think the FL heat will soon force my hand. :)

Back