• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b20 head options

John, it's my understanding you need some pretty phenomenal computer software and calculus/graphing to actually calculate dynamic compression ratio.

I can tell you right now, much of what has been said here isn't from first rebuild guys. You don't have to only post when you feel the need to assert yourself as the self-proclaimed TB engine builder.

Look we all know you are some young kid with enormous attitude and we've al seen cocky kids before and know how that goes..I am not addressing anything towards YOU,..You're just another mouthy spoiled kid just like thousands of others...
You've been here just a short time..I know a lot of what a lot of the various contributors have done and have spoken with hundreds....but the limited experience or even none does not prevent people from expressing their opinions and their FEELINGS...just as you have done.

Your "understanding" is ridiculously wrong...It shows no understanding.. There are plenty of free online dynamic compression ratio calculators for those who cannot do simple volume calculations.. But you need to know accurately a number of things...like stroke and rod c-c and intake valve closing point...

That point---which MANY people who are adults admit is a BIG revelation, the you aren't making any compression till the intake valve closes and that therefore the simplistic CR computational models taught forever are useless---was made clearly.. If intake valve closes 60 ABDC, THAT is where you begin counting remaining cylinder volume, not at BDC, then TDC blah blah..
But rather than saying thanks or even acknowledging the usefulness of that way of thinking of things, once again you want to act the keyboard tough guy and match wits with me..
Even though the key to happiness in any engine is optimising how big of a pop you can safely make..and how many of those good pops can we make.

Again I am not intending to address you directly, only to help other more better understand things and avoid repetition of erroneous ideas..To me you're just another Promise Ring/Calimeatwagon dreamer without the knowledge to ask good questions or recognize good advice because you're part of the great Underdeprived..

And sorry, I am an engine builder and I really don't think there are any others who really do that or have done that as their bread and butter..Some good mechanics, some part time guys who are good too...some decent tuners...but I don't think anybody has made lots of high powered n.a. 4s..Lots.. You don't like how the good, thoughtful advice is delivered, that's your problem..it is good advice...Try less posing and grow up some...

How did I miss all this? :drama: To the OP - John's right - engines are systems. Complex software is available (or you can do it by hand) and your engine builder sounds a bit nuts. I'd comment further but it's all a bit speculative. The static compression ratio for a pushrod Volvo engine is mostly in the head (accepting that there is some volume in the HG) - people have mentioned decking the block - zero or a little positive is pretty normal. Your stock block probably has the pistons down the hole a bit.

But really - set a goal - pick a cam - buy parts - machine the parts. In that order.

Back