• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M41 onto a b23

Excellent... *rubs hands*

and I heard the oil pump mod thingy, you can buy it at the volvo dealership. Forgot exactly what it is.

If the OP doesn't realize that needs some adjusting regardless, he's in for a world of hurt. Maybe shouldn't assume that though, huh? ;-)

Yes...oil pump is a pain in the neck. Pan is easy-peasy...

The oil pump thing is what I'm trying to wrap my brain around right now. Here are the options:

- Modify the B230 pump pickup
- Install a B20 HD pump

The second option would be bolt-on and simple for my project, but I'd worry constantly about oil starvation... my B230FT is a squirter block, to add to the challenge I'm facing.

As for the M41 strength and reliability issue, you could always bypass the entire thing and go with a T5 trans... lots of parts available, tons of rebuilders around, and T5s sprouting up through the weeds at most wrecking yards.

felix, i know i'm busy - but you know i'm down to help you put a b2x into your 122. personally i would look for something besides a b23ft. they are tooo hard to get in good running condition. just find a b21 or b23 with low milage / good compression. it's easier to swap over the pump. i forget the part# but for around $30 you can get the correct tube for the b20 pump into a b2x engine. and of course you can use the pan, i am in my 16v engine.

i've run a 200K m47 at an angle for some time in my 142 without any problems as of yet. the engine was not completely upright, but not. any ways yes i have 3xm46s at my moms. i also have a m40 and... maybe that's it.

i've run a 200K m47 at an angle for some time in my 142 without any problems as of yet. the engine was not completely upright, but not. any ways yes i have 3xm46s at my moms. i also have a m40 and... maybe that's it.

I told him that. The tilt thing.

The oil pump thing is what I'm trying to wrap my brain around right now. Here are the options:

- Modify the B230 pump pickup
- Install a B20 HD pump

The second option would be bolt-on and simple for my project, but I'd worry constantly about oil starvation... my B230FT is a squirter block, to add to the challenge I'm facing.

The second option is not actually the simplest IMHO. I've got three different oil pumps here and I really need to take a picture of them installed to make the picture more clear. The B20 pump bolts up to the B230 block but the boss on the block is machined at more of an an angle than the B20, making the B20 pump not sit level at the pick-up. This concerns me because the "foot" is this big cast iron piece and the actual pick-up tube entry would sit elevated too far from the bottom of the pan. Starvation would be a huge concern. The transfer tube is another issue I'll get to. The B230 pump seems to be the simplest at this point with modifying the pick-up. It need to be sectioned at an angle though to make the pump pick-up sits flat in the pan.

The transfer tube seems to be a bit of a mystery. I ran the part number (quoted somewhere, maybe the Brickboard) through the local Volvo dealer. There were none to be had in North America but he also told me their computers showed that part number to cover all B21/23 engines; something that goes against what information out there says. That information says this tube is from an early B21 engine only. That seems to go along with my observations as the pump from an early B21 is identical to the B20 pump except for the shape and length of the pick-up foot. The upper section is the same. The only thing I don't have is a later B21/23 pump to compare it to, unless those are the same as the B230 pump...

For more volume....

Not based on personal experience....

Would a B-30 pump be an option?

Dale if you are not breaking M-41 boxes you really need to go faster! :oogle:

For more volume....

Not based on personal experience....

Would a B-30 pump be an option?

B30 oil pump has same width/height gears as the B20 oil pump. The suction neck is longer on the B30 pump.

Last edited:
B20 sump, pump and pickup. For upright OHC engine.

Works as designed by volvo!

For B2x0 you just need to grind a little from the pump outlet housing to clear the crank for B2x it's a direct bolt on!

So. Got a quote.

b23 (225 220 205 215), flywheel & clutch, complete Lh2.2, c13 turbo with oil lines and manifold for $400

sound like a good deal.... should I be worried with high compression and turbo?

I could also go with a lower compression b23, or just do a b230

Did you get over the M41 idea? I blow up a M40 about every other season in a 120RWHP ITB 142. Always strip the teeth right off 3rd gear. Usually just after the gear change from second and at full throttle. This is with a 3 puck clutch and a old stock pressure plate. Behind a turbo motor and a strong clutch it doesn't have a chance. These are rebuild transmissions with good bearings.

I would never use a M40/41 if I had a choice. They are small and light compared to a M46

Well, basically. My plan is to rock the 41... TILL it blows up, then i'll bolt on an m46.

only the future can tell us if it will hold up or not

Back