• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How did you get your shifter to sit correctly in your 740 after a T5 swap?

89_740Turbo

Stopped by my buddies work today to check out his T5 swapped 740. Previous owner seems to have used a external shift linkage, welded an extender and that allowed the stick to sit in the correct spot.

Thoughts?

hIm2HV4.jpg

Seems viable to me although I could be wrong. I'm exhausting all possibilities to make the shifter sit in the right location and so far its this or a shifter relocation kit.

Does anybody know how far back the shifter needs to be? I'm reading 5" online but would like to confirm

Last edited:
Also found this online which looks to be the most viable besides shifter relocation kit

21YBxWw.jpg

Oooooo...that's nifty!
My son heated and hammer formed the shifter rod/handle on his swap; seems to work just fine.
I can post a picture later when I get home.

On the far end, that bolts to the actual shift stub, my son heated up the round stock, hammered it flat, and using a cut off wheel, cut matching grooves into his custom handle.
Threaded the other end with what ever the closest die that fit the round stock.

Near all these 7/9 T5 conversions end with a picture looking just like this........:wtf:

You either (1) run wasted spark (no distributor back of the head) and move your engine aft until you nearly hit the firewall, or (2) build/buy the "nifty" shifter offset device which you pictured.

How thoroughly did you research this swap before you performed it?

READY...... FIRE...... AIM!

Near all these 7/9 T5 conversions end with a picture looking just like this........:wtf:

You either (1) run wasted spark (no distributor back of the head) and move your engine aft until you nearly hit the firewall, or (2) build/buy the "nifty" shifter offset device which you pictured.

If yourr referring to me, I havent done the swap yet. I'm preparing to and researching about it before I do it.

It's like 4 1/4 for me. With a B6304S.

I'd recommend getting it in the car and then measuring.

Thats what I am going to have to do because the T5 I picked up has 3 different identification codes on it.

The tailshaft code is 13-52-066 which I believe is a Camaro tailshaft (?) Not sure if its that or the Cast-In ID since its on the housings shift tower
gg92lXZ.jpg

The housing tag reads 13-52-194 which indicates a WC T5 from a 89-90 2.3L Mustang that holds 240 lb/ft torque
1st gear: 3.97 2nd gear: 2.34 3rd gear: 1.46 4th gear: 100 5th gear: 0.79 Rev: 3.70 Input shaft length: 7.41" Input shaft diameter: .59"
D4RYmwr.jpg

Found this out using this chart
T5Identifier.gif

The tag on the input shaft housing is 13-52-027 and is a 10 spline input shaft
1DZcNZI.jpg

From your picture looks like a Mustang tail housing. The difference should be obvious tho, the shifter mounts are different between a Camaro and mustang and never change. Camaro has the square shifter mount and the mustang rectangular.

Ignore the cast in numbers, those are Borg Warner part numbers for those individual pieces. The number on the tag is the one that identifies the trans.

And if you're referring to me, I didn't do the swap, my 15yr old(at the time) son did it, on his first car, after rebuilding the engine and adding a 16v head.
And a proper, full rebuild; new pistons, rods, bearings, all seals/gaskets,etc...not a typical TurboBrick half assed rebuild.

All at once, full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes...and it fired right up.
Not too shabby for a kid that had never worked on a car.

Go by the AL tag.

IIRC the V8 vs V6/I4 has a different input shaft length... IDK if that will be an issue for you.

the shifter mounts are different between a Camaro and mustang and never change. Camaro has the square shifter mount and the mustang rectangular.

Excepting the Gen4 WC T5 behind the V6 which was a mutant. Mustang main body bolt casting, but GM everything else...

Go by the AL tag.

IIRC the V8 vs V6/I4 has a different input shaft length... IDK if that will be an issue for you.

Excepting the Gen4 WC T5 behind the V6 which was a mutant. Mustang main body bolt casting, but GM everything else...

They are. Ive got to pill the input shaft out and measure it to see what length.

So according to the tag on the transmission, I have a 7.41" input shaft. Kaplhenkes adapter plate requires a 7.18" shaft.

I posted a "wanted" ad for a 7.18" shaft but incase that goes no where, what are my options?

you need a 7.18 that matches that gear set. It might not even exist with that gear ratio.

Find a V8 box. Or a later V6 box and swap the input.

you need a 7.18 that matches that gear set. It might not even exist with that gear ratio.

Find a V8 box. Or a later V6 box and swap the input.

I know 1 option would be to just use the Deeworks adapter instead of bens but even then I don't think they have a 9.25" input shaft with 3.97 gear ratio.

Isit at all possible to use the 7.41" input shaft?

Last edited:
Back