• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

cold stalling/ maybe a vacuum leak/ help

dirtbag240

howdy folks

ive got an na 89 245 that is struggling to start a little in the morning, but then itll grab run okayish, get me where i need to go ( less then 4 miles away ) and then if i blip the throttle just a tad, as in enough to gain 500rpm to enjoy sweet sweet tractor noises, itl stumble, i can hear air being purged from the vacuum lines as if switching the vents open to closed, and then idle okay but i cant rev it at all unless very gently and then it drives okay.

then once turned off it normally won't start again immediately , i had an issue with the o2 sensor and just installed a new one, the drove 400km to my new university, and it ran fine, then i parked it for 5 days as i went backcountry skiing and then these issues appeared.

also once it sits for a while, lie an hour or 2 she starts runs and drives like nothings wrong and doesn't throw any error codes

any ideas would be great

na 89 245....then itll grab run okayish...blip the throttle...itl stumble...then once turned off it normally won't start again immediately...

Sucking air....nothing more!

Remove brake booster's intake vacuum hose, and plug hole on intake manifold. Drive safely.

Hence, check all vacuum lines fitness, and determine if brake booster is shot.

Further, make sure AMM's "hose" to intake is not holy, and it is tied securely with clamps at AMM and throttle body. With MAF cleaner, AMM might be cleaned.

Do you use upper case letters in university?

Air leaks sometimes can be found spraying around with brake cleaner and seeing if the engine changes idle speed.

Last edited:
How long have you owned this vehicle, if a long time is this sudden event? If you have only recently acquired the car its a good idea to start with the basics. Definitely spray carb cleaner around the intake and vacuum lines as suggested. If that does not reveal anything, it may be like what I just went through with my 91 245 I bought last week. Similar symptoms as well. In my case it was a series of things, first to check is to see if the airbox thermostat has failed. Look around on these forums for more info, on my car its on the outside of the air box. There is a flapper there that is supposed to open when the car warms up. If it does not the car gets air that is too hot and it confuses the computer as well as other things. you can feel down there with your hand and find the flapper, after driving if its closed then it has failed. Jam something in there to keep it open and see if runs better. Start there,

I've had the car for going on 2 years, and for the most part, things that have failed have been par for the course on a 30-year-old car. I've cleaned the MAF many a time since this issue has started, ill definitely give the airbox thermostat a look, as it seems to be an issue only when the car is warm.
Something I did notice was that cyl 4 has a fairly loose plug wire and the plug itself seems to have quite a bit of corrosion which can't be helping anything

Back