• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brake Upgade Bits

73amc

Hello folks,

Im in the middle of swapping my factory 240 brakes for the ATS Cadillac brakes. Pretty straight forward swap. However, I would like to upgrade my master to the mustang master right away. I have seen pictures of what appears to be a threaded adapter that elongates the rod by an inch. Where can this be purchased?

Ive also ready that one of the fittings on the master required an adapter to match the volvo flare. Where can this be purchased?

Thanks in advance!

IIRC, the input shaft adapter was a custom piece that Homer machined for his Porsche Cayenne BBK. Sub'ed in case I'm wrong :D

The fitting adaptation is probably less of a fitting adapter, and more of a "cut the old flare off, slip Ford fitting on, reflare" operation.

Edit: Found the Cayenne thread. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=281934

He doesn't spill the beans on /exactly/ which parts he used, but like they say later on in the thread, it's probably a thread measurement and visit to McMaster-Carr and/or Summit away...
The only modification needed is extending the pushrod on the booster. ~.8"
DSC_9032.jpg

The rear port is M10 bubble flare, front is M12 bubble flare so a reducer is needed.
DSC_9034.jpg

Last edited:
I figured it out. Sorry bud. Just drove pa to fl and back.like 36 hours in a truck killed me lol.

The coupling is female on both sides. I purchased a stud that was sae on one side and metric on the other. Basically I took the Volvo stud out of the brake booster rod, took it to ace hardware with me and found a coupling and stud that would work to make everything longer. There's some trial and error once you get it all back together to get the pedal travel where you want it.

(reviving an old thread rather than creating a new one)

Inspired by this discussion, I made an extension using an acorn nut and some suitable all-thread. Then this happened:

EcOW8vfl.jpg

What you can't see is that offsetting the plunger like that breaks the vacuum seal, so you loose brake boost. Exciting (not).

I suspect the hex adapter that folks are using is a nice snug fit inside the piston in the master, which would avoid this deflection. The closest I've found is this one from McMaster: https://www.mcmaster.com/98434a107 - but the cavity in the Mustang master's piston is only 12mm at the opening (it steps down inside) so there's no way this would fit without machining...

If I remember, I used a coupling nut.

That's what I'm looking at - just considering that 1/4-28 coupling nuts seem to all be 7/16" across the flats and more like 1/2" across the points, which I would not expect to fit. Same for the dome nut in the pic I posted, had to grind the points off to make it work.

Going to try it anyway, and turn it down if I have to...

Following up on this; the 1/4-28 coupling nuts I was able to source are actually small enough across the flats to fit into the SN95 master without any janking.

I used one regular nut (needed grinding to fit), a 7/8 coupling nut, and a dome nut (also needed grinding) on some 1/4-28 threaded rod to get a snug but not preloaded fit (plus some threadlocker, obviously).

Back